Dvd recorders with pass through

SOUNDSTYLE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have tried two dvd recorders now and none of them seem to allow pass through of the picture: Even my six year old bottom of the range Philips vcr does this, which has a sky box connected to it.

I have tried a Samsung DVD-r 155 and a older Panasonic EZ25 and both don't allow this to happen. I have to watch Sky through the AV2 of the dvd recorder if I am not recording!

Do you only get this if you get the top of the range recorders?

I am stuck now as to which dvd recorder (if any) to go for. I'm back to using my vcr!

All I want is a dvd recorder which can record on DVD-RAM; has time slip; input and output of RGB, and allows pass through of the Sky picture, does not have HDD; no Freeview (not bothered if it has) and cost no more than £130 or there abouts.

I have tried a Samsung DVD-r 155 and a older Panasonic EZ25 and both don't allow this to happen. I have to watch Sky through the AV2 of the dvd recorder if I am not recording!

Do you only get this if you get the top of the range recorders?

Surely if you are watching Sky through the AV2 of the DVD recorder without recording Sky then the DVD recorder is allowing passthru? Isn't that what passthru is?

With my Philips vcr, with the vcr in standby, I can switch on Sky and the picture will automatically appear on my tv screen.

With both dvd recorders the only way I can watch Sky is to turn on the dvd recorder and watch it through AV2 of the dvd recorder, which is rubbish.

The Panasonic should do that.

Are you sure it's not your set up?

Are your SCARTs fully wired?

I've owned four DVD recorders - two LiteOns, one Panasonic, one LG. All have allowed passthru (when the machine is switched off). I think you will struggle to find one today that doesn't.

I am using the same scarts that I use between the Sky box and VCR now.
I leave the Sky scart as it is, pull out the two out of the VCR and connect them to the dvd recorder.

I go into the menu of the dvd recorder and make sure that everything is set as it should be, but still get nothing.

Would it make any difference anyway if I did not have the Sky box to output RGB, and the dvd recorder was set to receive RGB signals.
I would still get a picture but not in RGB quality?

I can't speak for the EZ25, but on the Setup menu on the EH50 you can select the video signal that the unit will respond to. The choices are:

• RGB only
  • Video only
  • RGB or Video
If you get these wrong and (say) select RGB only and give it a video signal, you end up recording a blank screen and getting the audio only. But that's recording, not passthu.... which doesn't help.

In fact that was what caught me out - it passed the video signal ok but recorded a blank screen (as there was no RGB).:confused:

On the newer models you do not get RGB passthrough if the PowerSave option is selected. I wonder if there is a similar option on the EZ25?

On the newer models you do not get RGB passthrough if the PowerSave option is selected. I wonder if there is a similar option on the EZ25?

I don't think so. AFAIK the power save feature was a new introduction with the EZ27, EX77 etc software.

The EZ25 definitely has a pass-through capability... so it must be a setup issue that the OP has.

Soundstyle - Use the TV scart of sky to feed to AV2 of EZ25, AV1 of EZ25 to RGB capable socket of TV [Conventionally AV1 ]

In Functions / To others / Setup / connections... set AV2 input to RGB and AV1 output to RGB1.

Note that in order to get sky pass-through , the EZ25 must be either off [standby], timer standby, or timer recording.
You cannot get pass-through with the EZ25 in the ON mode [ unless AV2 is selected as the input, which is technically feed-through , not pass-through ]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom