1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders with HDD , Which one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DickieMoules, Feb 26, 2005.

1. DickieMoules

DickieMoules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    After spending much time over the last week, perusing this site, I have got my choices for my DVD recorder / HDD unit down to 3!!!!!

Toshiba RD-XS32 @ £309 , Pioneer DVR720H @ £418 (Multi Region) , and Panasonic DMR-E95 @£395.

I am using a 32" Sony widescreen for viewing purposes with Sky+ via RGB Scart. The price isn't a massive issue.

The fact that the panasonic can't write to -RW is a bit of a pain, but really the main use of the machine is to put stuff from my Sky+ onto it to free up the puny starage it has and then record stuff I want to keep onto DVD to put on the shelf.

I am also looking at getting the Toshiba 32WL48 LCD screen, so would like to have component out of the DVD with progressive scan.

So in the amazingly informed minds out there, which one would you recommend???? :suicide:

Cheers in advance

Richie.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Out of these machines the Panasonic has the edge for picture quality - it can manage upto 3hrs of full resolution footage per DVD and is by far the most user friendly. However if the lack of DVD-RW is an issue for you then the Toshiba RDXS32 is the next best: the Toshiba also offers extensive authoring options making it the best 'edit deck' without resort to a PC. The Pioneer range are on a par with the Toshiba for picture quality but lack the extra features found on that model - such as progressive scan, component etc.

I assume you have discounted the Panasonic E85 due to a requirement for iLink? If not then this is a cheaper version of the E95 and worth looking at!

If your after answers to basic DVD recorder FAQs may I suggest you have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature.

3. DickieMoules

DickieMoules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Many thanks Rasczak

I think I'll go for the Toshiba. Any ideas where the cheapest place is for this and is it available in Multi Region. I also need it to have an optical out for my 5.1 amp!

Also do any of the HDD recorders have Optical digital in to record 5.1 from Sky+ ???? :thumbsup:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Virtually all DVD recorders offer this feature: the Toshiba, Panasonic, Pioneer models (etc) are no different. The Toshiba has both Optical and Coxial output.

No current models have this feature.

I have used RGB Direct quite a few times - they always provide a quick, efficient service IMHO. They have it for £310 here - how that compares to other online retailers I'm not sure - do a pricerunner.co.uk search.

5. DickieMoules

DickieMoules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK Then, I'm off shopping.

Thanks for the advice, and to everybody on this site for their knowledge and insight. :clap: :thumbsup:

6. DickieMoules

DickieMoules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry Rasczak,

1 more question! I've been to a couple of sites to buy the Toshiba, all offer it as multi region, but 1 noted that it won't play RCE disks, which could be a problem as I have a few of these discs.

Are you aware of this being a problem from RGB Direct?????? :smashin:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    You'll have to e-mail them and ask. I believe their are several multi-region mods for the RDXS32 - one RCE compatible, the other not. You'll have to investigate that I'm afraid.

8. Renz

Renz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let us know where you find an RCE compatible one and at what price. Thanks

9. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So the Pioneer etc. are even worse than the E95? I find it quite frustrating to use, with the slight pauses/delays in the menus and during picture search etc. From what you say, I guess I'll have to wait for future generation models to see if anyone can produce a machine with decent operating system :(

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    With regard to PQ then it there is neglible different upto the 2hr mark. Between 2hrs and 2hrs 20mins the Panasonic produces marginally less blocking. And post 2hrs 20mins the difference is substantial with the Pioneer dropping to low resolution recording. At the low bitrates (4hr, 6hr modes), which I would recommend avoiding on any model, the Pioneer is very weak - but if you don't use those then it doesn't matter.

11. ecp

ecp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Decent enough budget recorders - but they are not in the same league as the Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer or Sony range despite a similar/same DAC. I would recommend avoiding.

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it correct that the Toshiba recorders will not PLAY any DVD+ discs?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    No. They will play most DVD+R and some DVD+RW provided the latter have been recorded with DVD-ROM book type. But there is no doubt the Toshiba machines do not like + media.

15. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DickieMoules,

I've had 2 XS32's from RGB - the 1st one played RCE discs but was returned as it was faulty. The 2nd unit will not play RCE discs. RGB couldn't explain why this was the case (in fact I'm not confident they even knew what an RCE disc was). All they could say was that the small print in the T&C says they don't guarantee compatability will all MR discs. I've only got 1 RCE disc so gave up arguing in the end.

Rob