DVD Recorders with dual layer capability

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by laser, Aug 11, 2004.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Now that dual layer DVD recorders are appearing, although media is somewhat scarce and expensive, it'll be interesting to see who is first off the block with a dual layer set top DVD recorder.

I think at the moment only +R/+RW drives have dual layer capability so it's a fair guess that Philips will probably be first to market but you never know.

One other point which I don't really understand and wonder if anyone can shed light on, is why Pioneer and other companies produce +R/-R PC DVD recorders but their set top DVD recorders only allow -R recording. You would think they would allow writing using the different DVD standards, after all it's a fair bet that the drives they use in the DVD recorders are very similar to their PC drives i.e. A06, A07 unless they are using older technology such as the A05 drive.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Because to use the DVD+RW recording system on a set-top you need to utilise the horrific +VR feature set! The core reason though is producers want to make money out of their own formats! The OEM market took everyone by surprise and ended the PC DVD format war as drives that weren't dual format were simply not brought by OEM buyers. No such pressure exists in set-tops.

Yes - Philips will probably be first - but they won't appear until next year. There is a possibility Pioneer will launch their first dual layer DVD recorder next year as well. I would have thought, but do not know for certain, that Panasonic and Sony would follow the year after. That said though they may not bother as BluRay will have started to appear by then offering upto 50GB of storage.

IMHO your better off getting a -VR recorder with all it's associated features. And then recording onto a DVD+R Dual Layer. I have prepared a Guide for this which will be uploaded in the next week or so to the PC GUIDE sticky.