1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders & Sky +

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ndoday, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ndoday

ndoday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I currently have a Sky+ Box but was considering buying a HDD/DVD recorder, maybe the Panasonic DMR-E85H. I am interested in knowing how it interacts with the Sky + Box, i.e can I be recording on the Panasonic HDD and watching another channel on the sky+ box ?

Also can I move programs I have recorded on the Sky+ HDD to the Panasonic for DVD archiving ?

Any overview of how HDD/DVD's work with Sky+ would be very helpful

Thanks in advance
    Nick

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Most of the users here have HDD/DVDR combos and Sky+. The latter is great for Timeshifting, the former is ideal for editting and archiving.

It depends how you set it up but the normal answer is no as you will use the TV Out on the Sky+ looped through the DVD recorder and then to the TV to enable RGB quality recording - this means you have to watch what the HDD/DVDR is recording. Realistically though you will do all your timeshifting needs on Sky+ (with dual record and multiple repeats do you really need to record a third channel on the HDD/DVDR!?!) and then copy to the HDD of the DVD recorder overnight. When your ready you edit as required and then dub to DVD-R.

Sky+ with a HDD/DVDR combo is the all round best option and what most users on this forum have gone for...

3. yetiuk

yetiuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly the setup I have and I must say I am impressed. Sky+ does all the timeshiffting operations, and then you dub to the e85 for archiving.There are a couple of niggles with the e85

1 The e85 doesn't widescreen switch sky while the machine is on. (I have it off unless I am archiving material.)

2 I haven't worked out how to dub 2 movies in a row using FR for each movie, so you can only dub 1 movie a night.

Apart from these 2 niggles I have been very happy.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    You just add them both to the dub list....or have I misunderstood your problem?

5. yetiuk

yetiuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to record the 2 movies from sky+ using flexible record for each movie.
    ie movie 1 80 min FR
    movie 2 110min FR

then dub each movie to a dvd.

At the moment I record 1 movie a night onto the hard disk.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Oh I see. There is a workaround for that (although whether you think it's worth it or not is upto you). You could use the timer on the Panasonic E85.

1) Set the Sky+ to 'Copy' your first movie, a short 'buffer' programme and then the second movie.

2) On the E85 set the Timer to record the first film (the start time obviously being when you intend to start the copying) in Flexible Record. The buffer programme allows you to have a few minutes leeway.

3) Repeat for the second film - again select FR. The start time is obviously a few minutes before the end of the buffer programme.

You should now have both films recorded in a suitable bitrate.

7. yetiuk

yetiuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
    I had thought about doing it that way, but decided it was probably too easy to get the timings wrong, so decided against it. I am sure I can live with 1 movie a night.

ndoday, definately the way to go. Whether you go for the X32 or the E85 is the hardest question. I went e85 as I have over 500 ntsc laserdiscs and I would like to archive some of them to DVD. Will be trying this at the weekend.