1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders - NTSC Recording from PAL sources?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dimmy, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title suggests, is it possible to record onto DVDs in the NTSC picture format from PAL sources using DVD recorders???

Thanks for reading

Dimmy ;)

2. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not without buying a standards converter which at the very least is about £600 and offers pretty poor quality.

I have to admit though that I send a lot of UK TV shows to my friends in the USA - and I record in NTSC using this cunning technique:

Firstly, I record from Sky+ onto my DVD recorder, producing a PAL disc. Then I put the disc into my £49.99 Safeway Naiko 2000 player which is set to NTSC output. I then re-record in native NTSC. The Naiko is no longer available but just about any of the cheapo Chinese DVD players has the same built-in standards converters and they're all dirt cheap.

Quality isn't astounding, but it's certainly easily watchable :) I used to have a Samsung multistandard VCR with built-in standards converter and the quality is much better than that.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tesco Dansai players also do a PAL-NTSC conversion

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

My Denon 2800 supports NTSC progressive but not PAL Progressive - it also supports PAL-NTSC conversion.

I was thinking of recording to DVD then playing the recordings through the 2800 and having them de-interlaced - which should yield rather positive results :)

Thanks again

Dimmy