DVD recorders.. Need your help and advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by THEWOODMAN, Feb 19, 2005.

1. THEWOODMAN

THEWOODMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all from a brand new member.

We would like to buy a new DVD recorder and have four questions.

1. The wife wants to record all her old craft VHS tapes to DVD discs and is looking at a combo machine. She has a nice VHS machine now. Is it wise to by a combo DVD/VHS, or just get the DVD recorder.

2. Is ther an advantage to buy a DVD recorder that records and plays in both "+" and "-"? Why?

3. She wants to be able to watch a program and record another. Does this require a machine with "dual tuners?" Which ones will do this?

4. What brands and model numbers do you recommend?

Thanks, gang..

Larry Jenkins

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,779
    Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature. Questions 1, 2 and 4 are answered there is some detail.

This would indeed require dual tuners - however the only machines with dual tuners are the VCR/DVDR combis from the likes of Panasonic and JVC. All other DVD recorders only have single tuners.

Note that most decent HDD/DVDR combis allow you to record onto the HDD whilst watching a pre-recorded programme on the HDD or DVD content.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,779
    Woodman,

Just seen you are based in the US (and have modified my post accordingly). You might find it of more benefit to try www.avsforums.com - this is a UK based forum and we tend to get machines with different features/functionality than those available in North America. Still the explanations on the link I gave for your 1st and 2nd questions are just as valid where-ever you are. And I should imagine the models that are popular in the UK (Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer) are probably just as popular in the US. Nevertheless I would seek local advice on that issue.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm not sure that a VHS/DVD combi is a wise choice. Once you've transferred all your tapes to DVD, what else are you going to use it for ?

Also, you will not be able to transfer commercially made tapes with a combi machine, because of Macrovision protection. With a separate VHS & DVD, you can connect the two machines with a special cable available from KTVision (and others) which will enable you to archive.

5. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Dual tuners in the DVD recorder.
    provided thetelly has more than one input why would you need them.
    If the DVD recorder has one tuner then you do have dual tuners - on one the recorder and one in the telly. Just set the dvd recorder to record whatever you want and switch the telly input away from the DVD recorder.
    Am I off target here ?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,779
    As more people get Plasmas/LCDs devices such as DVD recorders are also being used as tuners - dual tuners obviously allows you to watch one/record another (and dual record). But essentially what you say is correct Steve.