1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders - Info required

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Miles, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Miles

Miles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A few questions (all relating to boxed players not PC based), hope someone here will be able to help:

1/ I have NTL Cable only (no analogue TV at all) So I presume any built in tuners are useless to me? Would I just set the DVD Recorder to AV2 and be limited to recording whatever channel the TV was set to (on NTL box)? Is there such a thing as a DVD Recorder with a digital tuner that would allow recording one side while watching the other?

2/ On an I-Link enabled DVD Recorder Is there any set-up involved with connecting a DV Camcorder to the i-Link or just plug in and press record? Is there any type of editing available to place chapter breaks, titles or similar?

3/Do any DVD Recorders currently on the market allow for titles, menus and chapter breaks when recording to DVD R or is this only possible with PC editing software?

4/ If I have my existing DVD player connected up is it possible to back-up my existing DVD's (record DVDs) on to a DVD Recorder or is this limited to a PC solution?

5/ What are the Audio options when recording, Is it possible to record Dolby Digital?

6/ Finally, Can someone explain, in very simple terms, what exactly time slip functionality is and how it works?

Sorry that it's a bit of a list but I want to make sure I shell out money for someting that does what I expect or hope!

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Not yet I'm afraid.

Depends on your camcorder. Most are just plug and record. Editting facilities depend upon what media your using, titles can be entered in virtually all media.

All allow you to enter titles; generally speaking disk titles and episode titles. Chapter breaks is generally done automatically (every 5 minutes or so) although Playlists can be compliled (on Panasonic machines for rewriteable disks) or chapter markers on Philips machines. Only PC editting software can give precise chapter points.

No - this is limited to a PC solution.

All the major DVD recorders record in Dolby Digital BUT only from the analogue inputs so you can't record in 5:1.

It's just the feature that lets you play something else on that disk (or the start of the programme your recording) whilst recording. Say for example you get disturbed during a TV programme - you press record on the DVD recorder, deal with the interuption, go back and start watching the recording whether or not it has finished recording. It's a handy feature - especially if you don't have Sky+.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its worth mentioning that it is possible to copy dvd-dvd,but PC copying allows for total replica with menus etc(with correct program of course).Dvd-dvd copying on a set top box is limited to actual movie or extras footage,again you need some bits to get round copy protection.