1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders + Freeview

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by laser, Aug 1, 2005.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    There is an interesting article in this months "What video" magazine with an interview from a guy at Pioneer.

I don't have the article in front of me but basically he says Pioneer has no plans to introduce a DVD or DVD/HDD recorder with Freeview as they would be too expensive to manufacture for only the UK market and with the wide choice of external freeview decoders they don't see the point.

Fair comment by Pioneer but I now will not be buying any of their DVD/HDD recorders and will now wait for the Panasonic and Sony models.

It'll be interesting to see how long this reluctance to release a freeview enabled recorder will last as we approach analogue shutdown in 2008 and Sony and Panasonic release freeview enabled recorders.

If Sony and Panasonic can do it for the UK market why can't Pioneer? Is there market share so small to make it unviable. If so, a little bit of innovation might have increased their sales and market penetration. Imagine if they had released a DVD/HDD recorder with Freeview 6-12 months ago, regarldess or price they would have probably sold lots of hardware.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    It's ironic that I have been saying this for the last few years - indeed when I commented that the development costs related to Pioneer's UK market share would currently make it unviable (as I was told by Pioneer themselves) this was the response from one member:

The integration of a Freeview tuner, if done properly, takes R&D. Anybody (Goodmans for example!) can just hook a Freeview tuner to a DVD recorder and submit the signal to a Digital to Analogue to Digital conversion but, thankfully, the market leaders are better than that - integrated menus, EPG design, auto-titling of recordings etc all takes time to implement. As you can see from the DVB compliant products list Pioneer hasn't really jumped into the DVB revolution yet. They will in time...but they are rarely cutting edge these days - which is one of the reasons why they have reported lacklustre financial results.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Perhaps the IR gizmo (as supplied with the Pioneer 530) is the way to go to deal with multiple external sources when no one in particular dominates usage among DTT, Satellite, and two cable systems.
    But what will happen for a source of GuidePlus for DTT when Analogue Terrestrial TV stops has to be resolved.

An alternative is a PVR with HDD plus a DVD recorder without HDD for those people who want to keep recordings of broadcasts, or perhaps a PVR with a DVD built in will emerge.

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Given than Sony, Panasonic have dvd recorders out now and Samsung, Philips, JVC will do later this year expect Pioneer to get with it next year.

Pioneer made the best OnDigital box, they were quick out the blocks with a Freeview box but seem to have given up since then. One issue for a dvd recorder is to support the 7 day EPG to make recording easy. After much hassle from users (me being one of them) Pioneer finally did a update to included 7 day epg on its freeview box. Its a good box but the Sony is much nicer and the 7 day epg has been bolted on rather designed into the system from the first place.

The journalist from Homecinemachoice at the Pioneer dvd-recorder launch asked them and they said next year.

They do now have a plasma (PDP-435XDE) with freeview but again lagging behind the competition from Sony and Panasonic. Maybe the problem is Pioneer market share is too small to bother like Loewe offer DTT but with no digital interactive services (e.g rubbish imo for a lot of money)

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Exactly - as usual Pioneer lags behind. It's unfair to compare them to Sony who jumped into the Freeview market (and more importantly integration of Freeview into it's products) with more enthusiasm than any of us had the right to expect.