DVD recorders and MP3s

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by azzo, Aug 10, 2003.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Still looking at archiving my CD collection. Now looking at mp3.
    So when a manufacturer says that it can play MP3s are these
    just MP3 CDs, or do they mean MP3 DVDs and MP3 HD (for DVD recorders with Hard Drives)
    As always any info greatly received.
    Azzo.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The advent of HiMAT should mean future players will be able to .mp3, .jpg, .wmv, .wma and .mpg files whether on DVDR or CDR. Thus players like the upcoming E100 will be able to do this.

However current players can be a bit more picky. Some will play from anything, others will only play from CDR. With HDD/DVDR combos I don't think you will be allowed to transfer HiMAT files to the HDD.

AFAIK (from the manuals) Panasonic's will only play from CDR although I should stress I have never used .mp3 playback on my set-top units let alone tried from a DVDR. So I could well be wrong on this. That isn't much help I'm afraid.

If it's the E50 your interested in I could try them on a DVDR if you like. The HS2 doesn;t play .mp3s (to the best of my knowledge).

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the offer, it was actually a general question as I am
    still doing a bit of research.
    I am still waiting for the technology to settle down as I am looking at getting a DVD Recorder to replace my ageing VCR but would like to combine this with the archiving of 200+ cds.
    A one box solution would be nice. So if I got a HD recorder I can't see why it couldn't hold my CD collection as well. After saying that seperate systems are usually best, although MP3 jukeboxes are still new technology.
    (I always try to avoid my PC in these situations, although network audio sounds interesting ala slimp3)
    The E100 sounds intersting supporting HiMAT (something I haven't heard of) Someting else to read about.
    Thanx for now.
    Azzo.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    A friend has just had a Yahama MusicCast installed (at the cost of about £2500). He's upgraded the HDD to 160GB - so it can hold around 2000hrs of MP3s(!) and can pipe music around the house using WiFi. He can also compile MP3 playlists and burn to CDR. It's very impressive setup.

Personnally I'm not a big music fan - much to my mate's amusement I am unable to tell the difference between medium quality and high quality MP3s - so I just go for a fairly basic PC option. A HDD filled with MP3s that I can pipe to my home cinema (via an optical connection) or to my 'upstairs' stereo using a standard analogue connection (the PC has multi-room remote control). I record MP3s directly to CD-R for the car and I also record to Mindisc using an analogue connection - but this isn't too important to me as I only use that for music to accompany me when doing exercise. Not exactly a good music setup but it does me - I may invest in a MusicCast or similar but not just yet.

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, I have read about this yamaha system, sounds impressive,
    although I am somewhat dubious about the clients.
    500 for each client and I am sceptical about the sound quality (I read that you probably want to pipe it through your hifi)
    There will probably be a lot of wifi devices next year. Theres a pioneer and philips unit comming out soon.
    At the mo it looks like slimp3 reigns for this sort of device.
    Azzo.