DVD recorders and HDD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul_Lee, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Paul_Lee

Paul_Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Firstly, hope everyone is having a great Christmas!

Secondly, a thought occurred to me. When I first started looking at buying a DVD Recorder in late 1993, it seemed strange that only DVD-R/-RW recorders had HDD included: none of the DVD+ machines did. It did take a while for the + format recorders to come up with a built in hard-drive. Why is this? I've read up on the differences between +/- formats, and it seems that the + version is technically better (no flames please), so why such a long time for DVD+ and HDDs to appear?

TIA

Paul

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,061
    Hello Paul

I hope you are enjoying xmas too.

Surely you dont mean late 1993! - Maybe 2003 ?

I would think the only reason to account for it is that the members of the alliance responsible for creating and promoting the +R format had less marketplace and manufacturing 'clout' than the camp that were promoting the opposing formats.

However. I would say that the issue is largely irrelevant now with the advent of multi-format machines... and a good thing too. Ideally, the issue of disk format should be totally irrelevant to the end user in a well designed system.

Other developments have made the differences between the formats blurred.
    ... and it also needs to be taken into consideration that these formats have already been superceded with the advent of Blu-ray and HD DVD formats.

So if you are using this as a point of hesitation, wondering which way to jump in regard to format type, I would urge you not to worry about it.

Just get a multi format machine.

3. Paul_Lee

Paul_Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,
    yes, you're right, I got the year wrong.

A shame the +R/RW lot didn't consider HDD. Oh well!

4. alan sh

alan sh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So, given that the modern machines can do + or -, which is the best to use (and why)

Alan

5. Paul_Lee

Paul_Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although this is about software archiving, its an interesting discussion on the +/- formats

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/11/1714232

as I see it:
    + ---> better error correction, allows for dual layered burning (although - can now do this)
    can burn from source to DVD+ faster than - (???)

- ----> better compatibility with older legacy machines, - burning machines had HDD before + machines

Myself? I went for a -R/-RW/-RAM machine in 2005, because at the time, no + machine had a HDD. Then a year later, I got Sky+, and the hard drive became a bit redundant.

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Sounds like the typical incorrect urban myth type marketing that used to be spouted a few years ago.

The error correction on +/- are exactly the same, you can't use different error correction to what is the DVD standard, well you could but it wouldn't play in anything.

Go for a hard-drive equipped DVD Recorder, if you go for a Pioneer you get wide screen switching that works and can use any DVD disc (DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/DVD-R/+R/+RW and +R double layer and DVD-R dual layer). You may have problems recording from Sky as reported around here, so you could go for Panasonic which also records to both + and - but has problems with widescreen material as reported around here. The point is, DVD recorders have pro's and con's but the type of DVD disc you can record to does not need to be one of them.

Regards

Phil