Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

dvd recorders and freeview

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete M, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying the Panasonic DMRE85, but I am confused by what I have been told about trying to record through a Freeview set top box.

The 'cheaper priced models offered online will not allow you to record a digital channel whilst watching a different channel.' So you have to pay the full price £600.00 which will have the correct spec to allow you to record ANY channel in any format.

Is this correct - or retailer bull****.

I would welcome any views on this subject because ideally I would like to benefit from the online prices but I want to have full recording capabilities.

A Happy New Year to all viewers.

Pete

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You've been fed a line. Any DVD recorder will allow you to record and/or watch a single channel from a seperate Freeview Digibox. You will not be able to watch another Freeview channel without a second Digibox or Freeview tuner. And you will not be able to record this second channel without a second DVD recorder.

What a machine like the E85 will do though (as opposed to the cheaper brand models) is to watch a previously recorded programme, any point of the programme that is recording or a DVD whilst the unit is recording.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What you can't do is watch one Freeview channel while watching another Freeview channel - you need two Freeview boxes for that.
    Or you can go the PVR route to something like the Fusion FVRT100 which has two Freeview tuners and a hard disk.

With all DVD recorders and a Freeview box you can watch analog while recording terrestrial and vice versa, but could depend on 1 or 2 scarts on Freeview box.

4. Hobo4

Hobo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m confused! vice versa how so? i`ve got 2 scart freewiew box 2 scart on TV & 2 scart on Sony DVD recorder , how do i setup then cos i can only manage rec Analogue ch 1/2/3/4/or5 & watch/switch any freeview ch but only rec line 3 freeview & watch same freeview ch selected

5. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confused - I am most definitely.

From what I have read, there is no way
    I can watch ITV3 while recording BBC2 nor can the reverse be carried out - WHY??
    With my Freeview box I can currently record BBC1 to my VCR while I watch ITV1. Why is this not possible with a DVD recorder if it can be tuned to all available channels - BBC3,4,Sky News, ITV3, CBeebies,etc

I know I am a novice in these matters but can someone help me understand. :lease:

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You seem to be mixing up analogue channels with digital channels. Your VCR has an analogue tuner meaning you can record BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 by selecting channels 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 on your VCR. Presumably to record from a Freeview channel you select AV1 or do you use channel 6?

In this respect a DVD reorder is exactly the same.

I presume that when you record channels 1-5 on your VCR you simply watch another channel on your TV by pressing the appropriate number on your TV?

However if you are recording (on your VCR)CBeebies ( for example ) you would not be able to record ITV3 as both of these channels can only be accessed through your Freeview box?

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wonder if this helps:
    You have 3 tuners: The TV and the VCR(DVD) each has its own analog tuner and the Freeview box feeds both the TV and the VCR(DVD) simultaneously with the digital channel it is tuned to.

So on the TV and the VCR(DVD) you can select either a channel from the internal tuner or the one from the Freeview box.
    To watch analog and record digital you use respectively the TV's tuner and the Freeview tuner; and vice versa.

With this arrangement you should select which way to do it depending on channel availability (what to record vs. what to watch) or which you want better quality for (watching or recording) if both are available on both systems.

As in another post, Channels 1 - 5 show the same on both systems. In Southampton analog channel 6 would be allocated to Solent TV but Freeview channel 6 is ITV2.