1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorders and Freeview

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnaalex, Nov 15, 2004.

1. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    :confused:

I am about to buy a plasma screen (most likely a pioneer 43 inch) and a DVD HD recorder. I expect that the recorder will also be a Pioneer. But am I right in thinking for recording free view channels I will need a separate tuner rather than included with the screen as the recorder does not have a built in digital tuner?

Also, is it possible to record programmes to DVD from my Sky+ box (I expect I will lose any 5.1 sound effects will be lost)?

TIA

John

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    If the TV has a built in Freeview receiver you could record from that, but this is not ideal as the set usually needs to be left ON during the recording.

Far better to get a Freeview box connected directly to the DVD recorder.

You certainly can record from a Sky+ box though this will make it more difficult to connect everything for the best possible quality (RGB).

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on scart connections here when you have all the gear :)

3. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    I did susepct it weould be better to have a separate freeview box. As for connecting it all up....

Regards

John

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The best way is definitely to use a separate freeview box even if your TV has has freeview. This way you can record one channel whilst watching another and you don't have to have the TV switched on to record. Freeview receivers are so cheap now this is not an expensive option.

I've just noticed you said you had Sky+ (I've left the previous comment up as it may help someone else), in that case why do you want to record from freeview anyway? The easiest way to use a DVDR with Sky+ is to record the programmes onto Sky+ disk first then record from Sky at your leisure. The DVDR should be "in line" between the Sky+ and the TV. You will lose 5.1 when recording.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Because the PQ on the Freeview BBC channels is considerably better than that from Sky+. Bitrate issues aside, the upper market Freeview boxes are noteably better than Sky Digiboxes.

6. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    Yes I do have Sky+. The reason why I might want to record from Freeview is just to have the maximum flexibility. The 5.1 sound point you make is something I realise, but I am not too worried about it as Sky is the only broadcaster of 5.1 sound at the moment and that is only for some movies. So the Sky+ box can handle them. If I want to “archive” films I’ll just rent or buy the DVD.

Of course in my ideal world all channels would broadcast 5.1 (or better) soundtracks and DVD HD recorders would have built in Freeview tuners – not analogue. My mate has suggested that the only reason the hardware manufacturers don’t put Freeview tuners in the recorders now is so that we will all have to upgrade when they do – surely they wouldn’t exploit us like that? ;-)

7. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats interesting, do you have any figures about the different bitrates between freeview and sky? and also between different channels on each platform.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Not at hand at this precise minute (I am in Plymouth at present but live in Southampton). I'll dig something up for you at the Weekend. The biggest difference is on BBC channels though (I believe ITV are the same on both) - there is not much in it but when your talking about low bitrate TV even a slight difference makes it worthwhile.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Whilst initially this does sound attractive, I can never see 5.1 being the 'norm' in terms of 'normal TV viewing'.

After a while it would drive you mad, not to mention your neighbours!

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a long time Sky+ user,and recently added a Freeview HDD recorder,I can say that the BBC channels look better on Freeview.ITV also looks better on Freeview,but it is noticeably imperfect compared to the BBC channels

11. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITV1 seems to have deteriorated on Sky since they added ITV3 (in fact I noticed something was up a week or two before that date, when they must have been testing it).

12. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Back to the main topic DVD recorders and Freeview.
    Has anybody tried the new SONY 500 yet? I think it is out nowish?
    Azzo