1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder WITHOUT tuner???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by matmbl, Feb 26, 2005.

1. matmbl

matmbl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

:lease:

I'm trying to find a set top DVD recorder with ethernet but preferably without a tuner or HDD. I want to couple it up with my upgraded (250Gb) Humax DTV recorder and therefore would only use the DVD for playback (pref via component, if not RGB scart) and recording direct from the Humax (via S-video scart or below). I'm using a first generation pioneer recorder at the moment (which has a tuner but no HDD) but I never use it other than for playback or to copy stuff of my Humax.

Any help and direction would be much appriciated.

Matt

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    You won't find a DVD recorder without a tuner - they all have basic analogue tuners - but just because it has one doesn't mean you have to use it. With the exception of the DVB tuner inside the GXD500 I never use the tuners inside any of my DVD recorders - the RF picture is just to poor.

Most standalone DVD recorders will do this for you - although, as with your Pioneer, you have the choice of either making compatible recordings or edited ones. To make compatible, edited recordings you will need to look at a HDD/DVDR combi.

I should warn you that, unless you go for the top of the range Panasonic E500 or Pioneer DVDR920, you will find the build quality of any DVD recorder to be very poor when compared to your Pioneer 7000. If you opt for a standalone you will be looking at the budget end of the market as well which compounds the problem - that said some of the models can give excellent performance. Models to put on your shortlist:
    - Panasonic E55 (or it's upcoming replacement ES10)
    - Sony GX300
    - Pioneer 220