Dvd recorder with VGA out for a Panasonic TH42PW6B

R

rubadub

Has anybody a dvd recorder with VGA out for a Panasonic TH42PW6B. I figure this would save me having to get a scart or component card for the plasma or the JS conversion box.

If I get a player/recorder with VGA out will I be able to connect a scart input into it from a games console and have the output through the VGA?

Am trawling throught the grey cells here, but doesn't the top-of-the range Philips DVD-R have a VGA output for its prog-scan (DVD-R 1000, or something like)? No idea if you can still buy the thing, or whether you'd actually want to, as HD's suggestion makes more sense.

Thanks guys. I did some searching yesterday and I could have sworn I saw on this forum that you cannot connect component directly to the pansonic.

I cannot find the thread now but have found a few more saying that you can!

you can't do component to vga on the pw7 but you can on the 6..maybe that is what you saw.

Spot on, mep.

rubadub - you weren't seriously doubting the venerable HD on his knowledge of the the 6-series plasmas were you?

AV Junky said:
rubadub - you weren't seriously doubting the venerable HD on his knowledge of the the 6-series plasmas were you?

hehe, only new here, didn't see he had 10,000 posts under his belt!
Have a lite-on 5006 dvdrecorder arriving tomorrow and component leads on the way too. Thanks guys.

Thanks, I have these on order since the weekend.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3759&item=5166745907

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3668&item=6743910685

The component cable has me a bit worried .I am pretty sure he just means you shouldnt expect to connect a pc to a normal TV with the cable.

he says...

"Note: The Device to which the "VGA" connector is connected, needs to support Component video(which is actually "sync on Y", Y-Pr-Pb)or "sync-on-green" for this type of cable to work. These cables are not compatible with computer monitor ports or Y/Cr/Cb video. Check your Plasma, Projector or HDTV manual, otherwise your picture won't sync! In this case you need a "transcoder".

The 2 items cost me $36.70 including delivery

Are the other 2 leads on a 5-RCA lead of any use with the PW6?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi

The Component<>VGA cable you have bought will be fine with the 6 Series Panasonic.

Steve

That's fine, you have the right cable. PW6 plasmas sometimes come with component enabled on the VGA port, more usually RGB. Connect it all up, and if the colours are well weird, you just press 'setup' on the panasonic remote, and the option you need is top of the list.

Thanks Steve,
I can sleep easy now! I have my PW6 since friday but have no cables! All I can do is look at the option screens.

Thanks to all 3 of you!

I was typing the reply the first when the next 2 were typing, getting more like a chatroom with these fast responses.

I'll let you know how my ebay cables turn out. I have a very cheap unsheilded VGA extender so I suppose a test would be to see if the picture gets much worse when I use it.

Works great, very pleased with cable and screen. I am trying to fix it up to the PC with powerstrip and am scouring the forums for a good setting. The vga-rca cable looks like a very good build quality, the m/m looks just like any old cable.

I think I noticed the screen moving when connected to the PC, I had set the screen saver on the PW6 to wobble, but the effect I saw looks like the entire screen shifts up 1 pixel to me. I havent watched a film with the wobble on so can't verify yet.

Yep. Wobble drove me crackers so I turned it off almost immediately.

It's really not necessary on the latest generation Panasonic panels.

Steve

I've got wobble turned on and I can't say I can see any difference. Do I need a trip to the opticians?

I think that visit to an opticians may be beneficial!!! It moves the picture around by a good inch.

I was trying to adjust my panel for minimum overscan and couldn't work out why it looked different every time I went back and checked it.

Put the sky guide up on the screen and focus on one point. You'll see it moving.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom