1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder with or without Freeview ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ace T, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Ace T

Ace T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm after a recorder but not sure if I need a Freeview tuner. My plasma TV has integrated Freeview tuner and I also use NTL cable. Would I be able to record from Freeview and watch NTL or terrestial without a Freeview tuner in the recorder and record NTL while watching Freeview ? I think so but not too sure...

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    If the NTL goes into the Recorder then you would record from that. You will the be able to switch to the TV and watch another channel using the internal freeview tuner.

If you try to to record from the Freeview, then the TV will have to be on and you won't be able to watch any other channel. Turn the the TV off and the signal to the recorder will be lost.

I did the same thing with my Panasonic. I used my IDTV to record from. It isn't very good as the TV only outputs composite. If you record from NTL, then you should be able to record in S Video on RGB (if it has those outputs).

3. Ace T

Ace T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So if I want to record Freeview and turn the TV off then do I need one with a Freeview tuner or can I cable it somehow to record without the freeview tuner in the recorder ?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    To record freeview and have the TV of you either need

A DVD Recorder with Freeview built in.

or

A external Freeview digibox attached to the DVD Recorder by a input (I have that)

or if you just wanr analogue. You can record from the internal analogue tuner.

5. Stenataar

Stenataar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also want a Recorder - I will want until September when Panasonic will launch the DMR-EH60 which has hard disk and freeview. Hopefully it wont be too expensive!!