DVD Recorder with HDMI or without

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ivor the Engine, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Ivor the Engine

Ivor the Engine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Happy New Year. Looking to buy a DVD player which SHMBO wants to use to record. I want to ensure that we use the HDMI connection. My reckoning suggests either the Panasonic DMR -EX75 or the Sony RDR-HXD860S which would keep everyone happy. My question is twofold: is it imperative to use the HDMI connection to get the best from your DVD / TV or can this be compromised in favour of the recording option in the case of the Panasonic DMR ES15.

Any help gratefully received.

2. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    There is very little quality difference between HDMI and Component outputs on my EX75. The only advantage I can see with HDMI is the auto detection that turns the TV to the correct AV source when the player is switched on, and the fact that you have one cable instead of five. Saying that, RGB can also look good.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

HDMI can easily give you a worse picture with standard definition TV. It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get us to replace our standard definition equipment with more standard definition equipment, to then replace them with high definition equipment!

Any HD Ready TV will be upscaling the picture via SCART/Component (otherwise it wouldn't fill the screen) so the advantage of having that upscaling happen elsewhere is little to no existent.

Component cables can easily handle high definition signals, with HDMI only being introduced because the digital signal can be encrypted to prevent piracy, not that it will, but the film companies feel happier.

Regards

Phil

4. Ivor the Engine

Ivor the Engine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Many thanks for clearing that up. The player will be used on a HDTV, but as long as there is no discernible change in picture quality then that makes the choice easier.

Any suggestions about good scart cables or component cables??:smashin:

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Component will allow you to use progressive output on film DVDs which gives a much better picture.

No need to go mad with expensive cables, for a SCART make sure it's 21 wired pins, these are good plus you can get a short 0.75 metre length to save having loads of spare wire hanging http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=35909&doy=2m1

Maplin also do component cables, but you will also need an audio cable as well.

Regards

Phil

6. Lakisd

Lakisd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Certainly, the beauty is on the eye of the beholder, but there is a notable improvement in PQ when I compare the signal (SD - Freeview) sent (and upscaled) by my DVDRecorder, EX75, through HDMI to my TV (Panny PX60), compared with the same signal shown by the TV alone.

Could be argued that the DVDR tuner is better than the one of the TV but I doubt as I've noticed the same degree of improvement in the picture from a sattelite receiver when fed and sent to the TV through the DVDR-HDMI.

7. eryops

eryops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
  9. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Of course there are always exceptions and many variables. I've got a Panasonic LCD TV and find the internal Freeview tuner quality is exceptional and isn't improved by upscaling it elsewhere instead of leaving the TV to handle it.

The thing is, there are bigger variables than whether the signal gets to the TV via an analogue cable or via a digital route, or where (if any) upscaling takes place. For example, I am using two computer monitors at work, one connected via DVI (which is HDMI without the copy protection and audio) and a bog standard analogue signal, both handling the exact same HD resolutions of 1280x1024 and sitting 2 feet away I could not tell you which is connected by which method without looking at the back to see what was connected to what. So I just like to apply a reality filter to this HDMI business where standard definition is concerned, and even with high-definition component cable connections are just as good, and without the compatibility problems that some have had with Sky's HD service!

Regards

Phil