DVD Recorder with HDMI Input

gwladok5

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a DVD recorder with a HDMI input as well as output?

If one exists, am I right in assuming that by using the HDMI lead from Sky HD box, I could capture digital signals without downscaling?

I know the files are large, but could I then reduce the bitrate at the Recorder end to fit say a dual layer DVD?

There are no DVDR's which have HDMI inputs.

The whole HD system is designed so that you will never be able to get a recordable HD signal out of it... only and always and downgraded SD signal.

Forget about it.

There are no standalone type recorders that I have heard of outside of Japan as yet with hdmi in, though you can get video capture cards for PCs with hdmi in but you still wont be able to record any hdcp protected material. Japan has them because they have HDTV broadcasts that they can record, since sky hd uses hdcp protection even if you had a recorder with hdmi in you wouldn't be able to record anything that was hdcp protected, unless you managed to lay your hands on a so called 'naughty box' that removes hdcp, though these are expensive and now hard to find as I think they are technically in breach of some law or regulation of some sort so ads for them have somewhat disapeared because of threatened court actions, also they don't all work that well but it can be done.

Supposedly the hdcp chips in your tv for example have some sort of identifier which means something can be added to the hdcp broadcast transmission to stop them working. My understanding is the naughty boxes basicly pretend to be a dsiplay device by using the same chips then sending on the unprotected hdcp free digital signal. Because the naughty boxes use the same chips as various tv brands they can't be turned off without impacting other legit tvs but the chips are not supposed to be supplied for this purpose andd with threatened legal action where they have been it may now be difficult to get hold of one especially one that actually works properly, there are quite a few posts on here about the dubious reliability of such boxes especially when combined with other eqipment such as scalers and video processors.

There is utterly no point in trying to bypass the protection.... with a view to recording on a SD device. It's like trying to get colour out of a black and white set.

HD has four times the data rate... which an SD device cannot handle... and it does not have the necessary decoders ...etc etc etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom