DVD Recorder with HDMI, any good ones yet?

gingerjedi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have asked this question before but haven’t been on the forum for a while, are there any descent recorders with HDMI output on the market yet? They were thin on the ground 6 months ago but surely there's a demand for such a device or are the manufacturers concentrating on pushing HD DVD and bluray? I'm not bothered about upscaling recorded content too much I just want to be able to transfer SD sky+ content and watch upscaled rented movies.

There must be a lot of lurkers on here, 72 reads and no replies. :confused:

If you go to any of the major manufactures' sites such as Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, you will find lots of them, these days. Good they are too..

There must be a lot of lurkers on here, 72 reads and no replies. :confused:

It is probably because a number of us do not think much of upscaling.

It is largely over-hyped and needless with SD material.

I see a Lite-On dvd recorder with HDMI in the Argos update thing. Its only £99 and Lite-On seems to be quite a good budget brand from what i hear.

Not sure what you are saying here. AFAIK but with little personal experience there is a lot of difference with up-scalers.

I had a comparative demo of Pirates of the Carribbean DVD via a standard Sony DVD player connected via RGB scart to a Toshiba WLT66 and a Goodmans upscaling DVD via HDMI at 720p to the same panel. The difference was quite marked with the Goodmans upscaler delivering a far better picture. The Goodmans was £5 less than the Sony!

Why is upscaling needless with SD? It is whether the upscaling is good that decides whether an LCD gives watchable SD or not.

Not sure what you are saying here. AFAIK but with little personal experience there is a lot of difference with up-scalers.

I had a comparative demo of Pirates of the Carribbean DVD via a standard Sony DVD player connected via RGB scart to a Toshiba WLT66 and a Goodmans upscaling DVD via HDMI at 720p to the same panel. The difference was quite marked with the Goodmans upscaler delivering a far better picture. The Goodmans was £5 less than the Sony!

Why is upscaling needless with SD? It is whether the upscaling is good that decides whether an LCD gives watchable SD or not.

This thread might answer your question.....or not!!
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519840

Upscaling is not the issue. Using an HDMI output removes one digital/analogue/digital conversion. And that means significantly better quality.

Just compare Sky HD from the scart output and the HDMI output and you will see. The same applies to any decent DVD player.

Both the Sky HD box and all DVDR machines with HDMI can be set to output 576p without upscaling anyway, if you think your screen does it better.

It would be the progressive output that was making such a difference... and for that you do not need an HDMI upscaler necessarily.

Indeed there can be some benefits when playing DVD's ... I should have been more accurate. I was referring to broadcast SD TV.

Also, I question: 'It is whether the upscaling is good that decides whether an LCD gives watchable SD or not.' ... Surely a MUCH bigger variable is the quality of the panel in the first place. The current range in the market place ranges from just about acceptable in the best two makes, to truly dire in most of the rest.

Upscaling is not the issue. Using an HDMI output removes one digital/analogue/digital conversion. And that means significantly better quality.

I'm sorry - I just have to argue with that on two points.

It does not mean 'significantly' better at all.... and the fact that it removes one digital / analogue conversion is only a theoretical improvement. Most people would not be able to detect the difference.

The quality differences arise from much bigger variables in the system.

However, I wish to say to everyone in this thread that I do not wish to get dragged into a debate on these issues.

.' ... Surely a MUCH bigger variable is the quality of the panel in the first place. The current range in the market place ranges from just about acceptable in the best two makes, to truly dire in most of the rest.

So what are the 2 best makes you refer to?

I'm sorry - I just have to argue with that on two points.
It does not mean 'significantly' better at all.... and the fact that it removes one digital / analogue conversion is only a theoretical improvement. Most people would not be able to detect the difference.
On decent equipment the difference is very significant. If "most people" can't see this then they should probably go back to using a VCR.

However, I wish to say to everyone in this thread that I do not wish to get dragged into a debate on these issues.
So why post in the first place then? And why follow up with a second message?

On decent equipment the difference is very significant. If "most people" can't see this then they should probably go back to using a VCR.

So why post in the first place then? And why follow up with a second message?

Only to correct what I regard as points of fact... but otherwise it is a fair point.

Please ignore my posts on this matter. Consider them void.

[Mod Comment: I do so hate the HDMI debate....and yes i know that rhymes :D Ok, keep things simple, its possible the ADC in the LCD was poor so the HDMI input looked better, I have a Infocus Projector and using both HDMI and Component Progressive from my Denon 3910 the component tended to give the better picture, and that was using both non-upscaled and upscaled from the Denon.....quite often how well a scaler performs depends on the material it is upscaling as well as its own programming ability......however this arguement can go round in circles....so, if folks wish to discuss the quality of a DVD-R's HDMI output then please do so, but I say this to all, no more discussion concerning whether upscaling HDMI is better than Analogue, if you wish to do that, take it to General AV chat section!:End Mod Comment]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom