1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd recorder with hdd or sky +

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonopesda, Dec 4, 2004.

1. jonopesda

jonopesda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should i go for a sony rdr-hx1000 with a hdd,or for the price go for a sony rdr-gx3 and a sky + box?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Both - if possible - a HDD/DVDR is the perfect companion for Sky+. It is commonly assumed that because Sky+ has a HDD you don't need one in a DVD recorder - this is incorrect. In Sky+ the HDD allows timeshifting. Whilst it also allows this in a HDD/DVDR it's main purpose there is to allow VR features (editting, playlists etc) to be used prior to dubbing to highly compatible DVD-R. With just Sky+ and a 'standalone' you can edit but your recordings will not be compatible, with a HDD/DVDR and no Sky the whole thing isn't as user friendly as it could be.

You should look at machines as well as the Sony RX1000 BTW - Toshiba RDXS32, Panasonic E85/E95 and Pioneer 520/720. The Sony isn't that popular on here for a number of reasons (no Divide or HDD playlists).

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Agreed that both is best, however if you can't afford/ don't want to spend the extra then I'd recommend Sky+/DVDR over Sky/HDD-DVDR for most people. This is especially the case if you mostly timeshift and occasionally archive as Sky+ is definitely the best timeshifter (and dual tuner). If you're mostly going to be archiving then the extra editing facilities of the HDD come into play and the second choice may be better.

4. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend going for sky+ only if you intend to subscribe to 2 or more premium channels, as then the sky+ subscribtion is free (otherwise £10 per month).

Then if you cannot afford to get a DVD/HDD recorder and/or don't need it, then just buy a normal DVD recorder.

:)

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should avoid Sony in either case.
    The HDD model's lack of DIVIDE function renders it pretty much useless,and their non HDD models are overpriced comared to other models from other makes.You don't need dual formats.Its a hoax.There is no advantage on a dual format machine to what you can do on a DVD- machine.
    The only reason to waste lots of cash on a Sony is if you are brand loyal

6. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The £10.00 a month makes £240.00 over 2 years. People often upgrade their equipment every couple of years in which case £240.00 seems remarkable value given the features which are far better than any other form of time shifting, compare this to £400.00+ for a DVDR/HDD with inferior time shifting capabilites. Obviously its even better value if you pay no subscription. The key point is whether time shiffting or archiving is your major interest.

7. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobcar, I've got a DVD/HDD recorder and sky+. However, as I don't subscribe to at least 2 premium channels, I personally don't think sky+ is worth it for a further £10 per month, and therefore I no longer subscribe to sky+.

I'm just hoping sky+ make it free for all soon, otherwise I'm not going to pay any extra to use the HDD features, as I have got 2 TiVos also.

:)