DVD recorder with HD - which one??!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by melchizedik, Nov 5, 2003.

1. melchizedik

melchizedik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can offer some help. I have looked through the postings so have some inkling of what I want...which is a dvd recorder with a hard drive. It's unlikely that I will use a cam, so my need is purely to watch and record. I have a short list of what is currently available:
    Panasonic e100
    Pioneer 5100h
    Samsung H40e
    JVC xv-ddv1

I am new to this whole thing and am also planning to update my hifi over the next few months. So, SACD and DVD-A is not important either, although it does seem that if I want quality I will have to buy a separate cd/sacd player and dvd-a player probably. Hybrids do appear to be improving, eg: The new Denon. I also want to get surround sound and am looking at one of the Arcam amps.

So, what I'm trying to get at is that I want something that is going to be compatible with the other equipment that I plan to buy.

Although cost is not an issue I dont want to buy something with features that I will never/rarely use. Quality and not quantity is the issue here.

Please forgive my rambling - I'm just trying to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. So my question to you is: What do I buy from the short list above, and are there other machines that need to consider. Is it worth waiting?
    By the way, I use a Loewe Mimo TV - if that helps at all.
    Thanks
    :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    These are HDD/DVD combos (not HDD/DVDR combos).

The HDD/DVDR combos currently available are (cheapest first):
    - Toshiba RX3
    - Panasonic HS2
    - Pioneer 5100
    - Panasonic E100

The features between all the machines are similar. The key quality issue is RGB input: only the Panasonic models have it. Apart from that the features between the machines are quite similar.

HDD sizes vary of course: Toshiba has 60GB, HS2 40GB, 5100 and E100 have 80GB. Size isn't that important unless you timeshift a hell of a lot - the 40GB HS2 will give you just over 6 hours on XP (best quality) setting.

From a Media Playback perspective the HS2 won't play MP3s, WMA etc. The E100 and 5100 will. The E100 has two channel DVD-Audio - probably not important to you if your getting a dedicated machine for this.

All write to the universally compatible DVD-R which will play in any DVD player. Fo rewriteable media (which you don;t tend to use much with a HDD/DVDR combo) then the Pioneer model writes to DVD-RW which will play in most DVD players whereas the HS2/E100 writes to DVD-RAM which plays in very little.

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. melchizedik

melchizedik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, thats a really comprehensive reply, thanks.
    It seems that there is not too much choice at present. It might be worth waiting, but I guess that will only mean larger HDD and reduced costs in the future...
    Just out of interest, do you think this is the future: dvdr/hdd?

Tony

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 40Gb drive gives just under 9 hours at XP,not 6 hours.Unless you plan to timeshift a lot,the £200 saving on an HS2 is a good bargain.RGB input is an important omission on some machines,but is only a must have if you record from Sky Digital.If you don't you can live with S-video(which is also on Sky+,and I believe some newer standard digiboxes have it too).

6. melchizedik

melchizedik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh right! I use Sky digital. If I buy a non panasonic dvdr, does that mean I will get a poor quality recording?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Without a doubt - Panasonic's predicts that next year 25% of their DVDR sales will be HDD/DVDR combos, the year after this is predicted it will have risen to 50-75%.

I stand corrected!

No not at all. But only the Panasonic models have RGB in at the moment which means if you want to make the best possible recordings from Sky or an RGB capable Freeview Box you need a Panasonic model.

It may look that way but all the products available now are top notch. Certainly in the near future more HDD/DVDR models will become available from the likes of JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, Sharpe and LG. However the core functionality of these machines will be the same as the ones available now; i.e. the ability to record onto the HDD in top quality, edit and dub to/from DVDR!

You can't really go wrong buying one of the models on sale now IMHO.

8. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would go 4 the tosh as u can record a 2 hour film in 10 mins using high speed dubbing.regards nick

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer do high speed dubbing aswell as Toshiba and Panasonic.Maybe Rasczak knows whether the high speed dub on these machines is restricted like the Panasonic machines,to HDD and DVDR being at the same quality level.Do the Tosh or Pioneer allow XP HDD transfers to DVD-R at FR at high speed?

10. neekey

neekey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an Hs2 12 months ago, stupid me should have waited for price to drop).
    Anyway it has been absolutly perfect, I cannot speak highly enough, the 40 gig Hd is ideal, you never seem to fill it up, with the option of ram disks and recordable dvd it's great.
    My biggest problem when I first had it was the connections, took me a whole afternoon to get it right.

I use it with a new Pace freeview DTR210T unit, very good.

Neeks

11. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Pioneer 5100 and when I did an XP (or Fine as it's known on the Pioneer) recording to DVD as FR it was in real time. Non FR are at High speed though.
    Regards