1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder with digital tuner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Johnnyg37, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When is some manufacturer going to take the plunge and release a machine with a digital tuner? At the moment we are all being forced to buy models that will become obsolete in a few years time. My current VCR (Panny S-VHS) has lasted 12 years. The current DVD recorders will not be able to last that long. Admittedly, it will still be possible to record from a digital box but it's not nearly as convenient as recording from an in-built tuner.

2. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Couldn't agree with you more. Its an absolute nonsense.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    DVDRs with inbuilt digital tuners will start to emerge this year. However it should be noted that they will be little more than DVDRs with a seperate DVB - they will still do an (internal) digital to analogue conversion and then analogue to digital conversion, i.e. you will not be able to capitilise on lossless recording. Most of the major players are working towards bitstream recording but numerous issues prevent it: converting the DVB signal to within DVD specifications is one problem, opposition from broadcasters/copyright issues is another.

One machine due this year that does look interesting is the Sony RX10. This WILL have an inbuilt digital tuner (but will following the DAC and ADC described above) but will utilise the 7 day Freeview EPG to great effect with "favourite show", "search by name/title" etc functions.

For the most part though the first decent DVB DVDRs will not appear until next year - then we should see lossless recording, twin tuners as standard, dual record and other such features...

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Another year's wait for something decent then.

5. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi.
    As a new member to this forum I am really pleased to see that I am not alone in trying to get someone to campaign to get Digital Tuners into DVD recorders and dare I say it, PVR/DVD combis!
    I have sent various e-mails/letters to both manufacturers and mags. trying to get some debate/movement on the issue and get a profound silence!
    I have just (yesterday) e-mailed both "What Video" and "What Satelite" again so maybe someone might start to put some pressure on.
    Once again maunufacturers are extorting every penny by playing the consumer into the game of buy one part now and another in our upcoming model.
    Why on earth would someone want to record onto DVD from an Analogue Tuner? Its the old game of buy one now and another later. Just like the other favourite one of "lets all form different groups supporting different, non-compatible standards and then we can all get the consumer confused and paying out again and again"!
    Sorry to sound embittered but with more than 50% of British homes now being Digital, switch off of Analogue starting in Wales and in Euope with Berlin already all Digital, we are once again failing to gain the full benefits of this take
    over technology!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    rogerh, I agree with you that digital tuner/DVDR combos are desirable - I think it is the next big thing we are all waiting for. I am not sure a letter writing campaign is going to help much though :( Most companies are already working on integrating Freeview tuners into their products: for example Sony are preparing a such a machine for release later in this year:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrhx10/rdr-hx10.htm

The fact is a number of technical difficulties do present themselves with incorporating Freeview tuners into the machines. Whilst both DVD and Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) both use MPEG2 they do have differences.

DVB has to be able to receive and decode the MPEG2 stream despite packet loss (not receiving all the digital information). Accordingly a "Transport Stream" is used. The DVD specification on the other hand requires a non-lossless signal and thus uses a "Programme Stream". The two are somewhat different.

The machines we are going to see this year simply undergo a DAC (Digital to analogue) and ADC (analogue to digital) process which means you might as well have a seperate Freeview box (insert the standard seperates versus combos argument here!).

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  8. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What are the plus and minus points having the hard drive in the DVB box and a separate DVD recorder without hard drive?

9. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would imagine you have not direct link to the EPG -as such because it's not soft-wired in, however there are probably various manufacturers link ups that get around it.

I'm definately going to wait.

(oh and 1 less box on the shelf!)

10. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hello All
    I'm also interested in the Fusion FDVRT100. Does anyone know more details other than what's on their website?
    Also thanks Rasczak for your response re problems with DVD and DVB. I'm suprised that with DVD having been with us for some while, DVB having been on the cards for a while and the Government keen to sell off Analogue frequencies, that manufacturers have not yet sorted these problems!
    Does anyone know if the Sony RX10 is a PVR/DVD Recorder combi or is it just a DVD Recorder?

11. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi again.
    The answer to my question about the Sony RX10 is of course on the web site "avland" which Rasczak included in his message. I must pay more attention!
    What a pity Philips missed an opportunity with their new PVR/DVD Recorder and put in an Analogue Tuner. It would have been good to see some competition, especially as it usually keeps prices down.

12. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Again.
    Anyone out there had any more news on upcoming Sony machine RX10 or the Fusion amchine which is on their web site?
    Or indeed any others known from any other manufacturer?

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Sony will be announcing their new range of DVD recorders soon. AFAIK no decision has been made as to whether the RX10 will be announced at the sametime (the machine is built around the Freeview EPG and is dependant on that appearing first).

14. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I accept that converting the DVB stream to DVD may not be an easy task, but surely there is no need to convert to analogue? All the recorder needs to do is take the decoded digital stream and re-encode it.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Your quite right - and that's where the equipment is going - but the 'early' models are going to be effectively a DVB tuner and a DVDR in one box with an analogue connection between them. All digital solutions are both possible and on the way - but I don't think we'll see any this year.

16. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think we'll see broadcast quality recordings at some point, i.e. a proper DVB to DVD conversion without re-encoding? Freeview PVRs already do this, but then they have more disc space than the average DVD-RW, and of course they don't have to worry about DVD specifications.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    There will always need to be a re-encoding as the DVB stream and DVD format are subtly different. We will see near to lossless re-encoding though - next year. Freeview only PVRs will always have the advantage though because they can just record the stream 'as is' and play it back. If you copied that directly to a DVDR it just wouldn't play.

18. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MiCO electric's site :-

"Looking forward at MiCO's planned future DVD+RW product introductions; the company is anticipating the launch of an HDD version in later 2004 and of its Digital TV Tuner in 2005."

Incidently the Freeview 7 day EPG went live last week.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    By the end of 2005 the world and his dog will have digital tuners included in virtually all kit. Likewise HDD/DVDR combos are now likely to become the standard.

Yes - at last :clap: Makes life a lot easier (although my Sony is currently only showing 48hrs in advance - but it's two software upgrades out of date so hopefully it will get corrected in due course).