1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder with digital and analogue tuner?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by durandal, May 11, 2005.

1. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at getting a Sony GXD500, but my problem is that not all channels are available on freeview (noteably ITV 1&2, C4, C5 etc).
    So I was wondering if there is a recorder out there with both analogue and digital tuners or if there is a way round this on the GXD500.
    thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The new Panasonoc ES20D (DVB version of the ES10) will have Freeview and analogue tuners - due in July. Likewise the EH60D (DVB version of the EH50).

Only if you use an external tuner.

3. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The DMR-ES20D will have an i link/DV input for connecting to a digital video camcorder.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    :confused: Not quite sure how that is relevant to the original question? The ES20D is the replacement for the E65 so will feature a number of extras: DV input, LPCM recording, PC Card slot etc. Ditto the EH60D which replaces the E95.

5. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that- dunno where the dv input came from.
    Bit confused though - seen a couple of reviews for the sony which specify an analogue tuner - was wondering if anybody who's got one can confirm?
    Also, (I guess this includes all DVD recorders in general) does it have RF output, and is this just a TV signal pass-through, or can it output freeview and recorded DVD signal?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Freeview has all the named channels. Is it an issue local to you, or are you misinformed?

7. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't pick up all the channels - think its something to do with the different multiplexes

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    All Sony models apart from the GXD500 have analogue tuners - that is probably where the reference comes from.

All DVD recorders offer RF pass through however only the Panasonic models have UHF modulators in and thus only they offer the DVD picture through RF.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    AFAIK, with the sole exception of a Sony (don't have the model number to hand) all current DVD recorders have only analog tuners. There is a promised Panasonic combined twin tuner Freeview PVR , HDD and DVD recorder imminent. Not sure if this has an analog tuner as well. Based on my (and others') experience with their recent standalone twin tuner PVR, I hesitate to recommend it - until it's been on sale and others have started to report how good (or bad) it is.

Speaking for the Pioneer DVD recorder (with an onboard Hard Disk) that I have, you could solve the problem by using such a machine together with a suitable* freeview receiver. The DVDR can be set into a recording standby mode. When it detects a signal on the SCART input, it powers up and starts to record. When the signal ceases, it stops. When it next detects a signal, it records again. And so on.

With a suitable freeview receiver, you can set timer events in the receiver so it powers up, tunes to the chosen channel, and begins to output a signal at the set start time. And powers down at the set end time. And again for the next event. And so on. So between them, the two devices will record freeview.

The Pioneer has RGB input. Whilst the signal is converted from digital to analog (by the freeview box) and then back to digital (by the DVDR) the quality is pretty close to the original. Unlike PVRs (where the signal remains in its original digital form) it isn't identical - it is degraded ever so slightly.

What I don't know, though, is whether you can combine timer events in both the DVDR (for analog) and the set top box (for digital).

* suitable:

1: must have a recording timer; not all do.
    2: just a note of caution - I had a Sagem freeview box briefly. I found that, although I had it set to 16x9, when it powered up for a timer event, it output 4x3 centre cutout, regardless of the TV shape setting. The shop told me, when I returned it, that most of them do this - I can't confirm it one way or another. I can confirm that my old, clunky, ex On-digital box outputs 16x9 correctly.

Of course, it might be better to try and work out why you don't have the named channels, rather than trying to mix analog and digital; a new aerial may well solve the problem. Analog isn't widescreen, whereas much of Freeview is.