DVD Recorder who can Record NTSC VHS ?

patroller2 said:
the only VCR's that output NTSC 3.58 are American ones the ones in the UK if they do output NTSC its 443 I have 2 and they say under the VHS mark PAL NTSC443. :smashin:

Close, unless you have an Australian Panasonic which is switchable between
3.58 & 4.43. Im at work so don't have the model number. But it is a VCR from 1998.

Also not compatible with UK audio.

Going cheap, lol

LV426 said:
I can confirm without doubt that, using a Laserdisc player, with its output from NTSC discs switchable between PAL60 or pure NTSC, as a source, that my Pioneer 520 will happily record either. There is no discernible difference between the finished DVDs from PAL60 or pure NTSC signals.

FYI, the colour information isn't recorded on DVDs as either NTSC or PAL. It's something else, and is the same regardless of the input signal type or line and frame rates.

As would a Philips recorder.But a Panasonic recorder will only accept the NTSC output,not the PAL 60 one

The Philips DVDR 610 will record NTSC no problem I can confirm via the front phono sockets well as all the secam formats incl secam L from the tuner (even nicam stereo and MTS stereo and the German A2 stereo system)

FYI - this link doesn't work. Techtronics went bust in August 2004
I posted the link in July 2004!

phelings said:
NTSC 4.43=PAL 60.
Are your vcr's Panasonic 90's vintage?

Well if that's the case then why does both my VCR's output NTSC and PAL 60 and the NTSC is 4.43! plus my TV has NTSC 4.43 , 3.58 and PAL settings when i set the VCR's to output PAL 60 the TV only has a colour pic on the PAL setting! if what you say is true then it would have a colour pic on the NTSC 4.43 setting would it not, When I set both VCR's to output NTSC not PAL 60! then the TV has a colour pic on the NTSC 4.43 setting and the PAL + NTSC 3.58 settings are B/W if NTSC 4.43 and PAL 60 where the same setting then my VCR's would not have the NTSC and PAL 60 switchable settings!

They aren't the same thing. They are similar. In PAL, the colour information is phase inverted on alternate lines (that's what PAL stands for - Phase Alternate Line); in any type of NTSC, it is not.

Phase alternation means that the overall colour of an image is not affected (in the analog domain) by reception interfertence, multipathing etc., because any error on one line will be equal and opposite on the next. So whilst the image may, in bad conditions, take on a striped look, the overall effect is colour that's more or less right.

Whereas NTSC is affected. And this is why NTSC TVs have a hue control.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom