1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder who can Record NTSC VHS ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mokas, Jul 22, 2004.

1. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , i want to buy a DVD recorder who can also record NTSC ( i have to copy lot of VHS NTSC ) , i'll prefer if he can handle DVD-RAM too .

As i Live in France maybe some of you suggestion won't gonna be available here so don't hesitate to advice my many reference so at least one should be available here :)

Thank's

2. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,

I own a panasonic e55 dvd recorder and according to the manual it can record in NTSC from an external source, like your video ( I haven't had the chance to try this though). It also uses dvd-ram disks.

I am very pleased with it.

Hope this helps

3. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact i have a DVD Panasonic DMR-E55 too ! and after trying to use it to burn on DVD my VHS NTSC since 3 days i just discovered that he cannot record NTSC ( i don't know if it's different from external source... ) i even asked a technician of Panasonic to ask him what model i should change to be able to record NTSC and he tell me that None of Panasonic DVD Recorder can record NTSC :eek:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    This is incorrect. The Panasonic range record pure PAL or pure NTSC. However odds are you are using a UK VCR that offers 'NTSC Playback'. This is not ouputting an NTSC signal - it is PAL 60 which most DVD recorders/VCRs cannot record from. The only exceptions to this are Pioneer and Philips models.

Your choice therefore is to get a multi-standard VCR (although these are expensive and few and far between) or buy a Pioneer/Philips DVD recorder. Obviously a Pioneer would be a much better choice...

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the 2nd instance I have seen of Panasonic telling their customers that there is no NTSC recording on their dvd recorders.Where do these people come from?

6. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak , i use a multi-standard VCR ( Philips VR550 ) and after 3 days of testing i'm still not able to record my NTSC VHS on DVD , are you sure it is possible ?? , maybe you can tell me what kind of connection i have to set on scart of my VCR and the Panasonic DVD , i prefer keep my Panasonic rather then change the one i have ( he have DVD-Ram and lot of cool function )

phelings to you reply at you question i live in France .

Thank's for you reply ;)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Philips VR550 is not a multi-standard VCR! This is a multi-standard VCR:
    http://www.220-electronics.com/VCR/samsungsv5000.htm
    (notice the price difference ;) )

If your VCR outputted pure NTSC then yes it would be possible. But the VR550 outputs PAL60 (in the UK at least) which the Panasonic range cannot record.

8. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seem you a real pro :smashin: , it's hard ( long) to explain why but it's more simple for me to change my VCR for a real multi-standard VCR then change my Panasonic DVD , so please can you tell me if you see any multi-standard VCR here ? ( it's the store i have to eventualy change the VCR or the DVD ) http://www.rueducommerce.fr/hifi/showprod.cfm?&catid=7&objectgroup_id=20&nb=10

Yes it's French but you can see just the reference and tell if it's there is a real multi-standard VCR or no

Thank's ! :clap:

9. gori

gori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi !

I am from France too.

If you want a vcr that can output pure NTSC (not pal 60 hz) without being a tri-standard (multistandard naming in France was often mis used to PAL/SECAM vcr (and not ntsc))
    you can find this option in THOMSON vcr
    I have the old vph6990 but i think the new one has the option (check under fonction image and check TV NTSC)
    I think you can find theses vcr cheaper than a real Tri(multi) standard

Eric

10. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gori ;) there is a Thompson on the link i proposed to Rasczak , it's a THOMSON VTH-6410F , hard to understand if he can output real NTSC :rolleyes:

11. gori

gori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know about this one,
    the best thing to do is to go to a shop and check the TV NTSC check option, with that you'll be sure it can output pure ntsc, or grab the pdf manual by asking it thru thomson website if you're in paris i have a pure ntsc vcr (bought in the us) for sale if you want.

12. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact i buy both DVD recorder and VCR on the link i posted , and now the only solution i have is to change the VCR or the DVD .

13. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact as the Panasonic technician tell me that none of DVD recorder can record NTSC ( maybe it's different in UK ) even if i buy a THOMSON who have a real NTSC output i'll won't be able to record that with my Panasonic recorder , so best thing i think is to change it for a Pionner like Rasczak advice me .

To be sure i understand well the output of my NTSC VHS with my Philips VCR gonna be a kind of "false" NTSC but ( why ? ) Pionner DVD recorder gonna recognize him as NTSC ? or convert it as NTSC ?

Thank's ( Merci gori )

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I have never come into contact with the Thomson VTH-6410F so can't help as to whether that would be a good VCR to get. Whatever I agree that your best course of action would be to get a Pioneer DVD recorder instead. The Pioneer 220 is priced similarly to the Panasonic E55 and offers the same features bar DVD-RAM recording.

Have a look here:
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/87-00-video-standards-ntsc-pal.html
    ...that link gives a good overview of the whole issue.

15. gori

gori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree the new pioneer dvd recorder (at least the 520/720, have to check for the non hdd ones) can record in pal or ntsc or pal 60 (the output you have on your vcr) . Check on pioneer website for the manual and you'll see that (at least) the 520/720 can record the "false" ntsc aka pal60. but i didn't test what will look best between recording the same old ntsc videotape read on a ntsc vcr recorded in ntsc or read in pal 60 and recorded in pal 60.
    I'll find out this summer ;)

16. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just search for the model you proposed , they have it but it's not DVD-Ram http://www.rueducommerce.fr/TV-Hifi-Home-Cinema/Lecteurs-Enregistreurs-DVD/Enregistreurs-DVD/Pioneer/2713-Enregistreur-DVD-DVR-220-Multizones.htm?pl=2873|2881|2119|2806|1852|2756|2480|2162|2169|2293|2319|2139|2473|2553|2715|2649|2728|2730|2601|2713|2472|2878|2600

I think for now i'll change my Panasonic for the PIONEER DVR-3100S , a good choose for you ?

Thank's :smashin:

17. gori

gori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nonono not the old series like 3100 or 5100, try the new x20 serie (it has RGB input) but yes it is not with dvd ram

18. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , the PIONEER DVR-3100S is in stock on seller i have to buy and not the Pioneer 220 and as i as to test it with the VCR i also buy at same shop so in case there is a problem if i receive the DVD too late then the time for eventually change the VCR gonna be out :blush:

And at first look both new and old Pionner seem have same function ( Time-Slip Chasing Playback , like i have with DVD-Ram ) , i go on pionner web page there is no info about new one , only old , there is really a difference ( which ? ) between old and new one ?

19. gori

gori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand but ask them if they have the new ones...
    the pioneer french website is not up to date (but the products are available in the stores)
    http://pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_overview.jsp?category_id=501&taxonomy_id=62-125

and for the manuals :
    http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/RegistrInstrMan.nsf/search?openform

the main difference between the old and new is RGB input (in my opinion) they also change several in the GUI, seems the encoder is doing a far better job (but didn't test myself the old one)

20. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a RGB input on the Panasonic and didn't used it , anyway if he was in stock i certainly buy it rather then buy old one but as i explain now it's question of time ;)

21. patroller2

patroller2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that if you buy a VCR for NTSC backups and have a Panasonic dvd recorder that the VCR outputs pure NTSC 358 not NTSC 443 or Pal 60. Panasonic can record NTSC but it has to be 358 (American) not 443 (Japan).

22. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no current VCR's that will output NTSC 3.58.
    Unless its a specific multistandard model it will be PAL 60

23. patroller2

patroller2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only VCR's that output NTSC 3.58 are American ones the ones in the UK if they do output NTSC its 443 I have 2 and they say under the VHS mark PAL NTSC443. :smashin:

24. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC 4.43=PAL 60.
    Are your vcr's Panasonic 90's vintage?

25. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I can confirm without doubt that, using a Laserdisc player, with its output from NTSC discs switchable between PAL60 or pure NTSC, as a source, that my Pioneer 520 will happily record either. There is no discernible difference between the finished DVDs from PAL60 or pure NTSC signals.

FYI, the colour information isn't recorded on DVDs as either NTSC or PAL. It's something else, and is the same regardless of the input signal type or line and frame rates.

26. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Close, unless you have an Australian Panasonic which is switchable between
    3.58 & 4.43. Im at work so don't have the model number. But it is a VCR from 1998.

Also not compatible with UK audio.

Going cheap, lol

27. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As would a Philips recorder.But a Panasonic recorder will only accept the NTSC output,not the PAL 60 one

28. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The Philips DVDR 610 will record NTSC no problem I can confirm via the front phono sockets well as all the secam formats incl secam L from the tuner (even nicam stereo and MTS stereo and the German A2 stereo system)

29. HAB

HAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: