dvd recorder - which should I choose?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by boyohboy, Jun 29, 2005.

1. boyohboy

boyohboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help would be appreciated. I want to transfer my camcorder tapes over to dvd but am confused as to just how many formats it is advisable to have on the machine that I purchase. Is it a question that no-one knows yet which format will become the industry standard or what? I can understand the pros and cons of multi-region but the subject of format is totally puzzling. HELP????

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    If your camcorder is digital you need a recorder with DVi input for best quality results.
    I would strongly recommend a recorder with HHD also. This would make editing etc. easier prior to burning onto disc.
    There will not be a common industry standard IMO as the main manufacturers are now concentrating and arguing about the next big thing - high def recording/playing (HD DVD or Blueray)
    Some modern machines will allow recording using different media .
    However - practically all recent generation machines will playback all write once discs. So you can make your discs and give them out to friends and relatives and their machines should play them.
    My personal preference is Panasonic as I think the DVD Ram rewritable discs give more flexibility than DVD-RW. But I would suggest that Sony and Pioneer also make very good machines. Avoid the cheaper less known brands and many people have had bad experiences with Phillips.

Good luck

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    boyohboy,

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for general DVD recorder buying advice. The market is a minefield and it's well worth knowing the pitfalls.

4. boyohboy

boyohboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't looked yet at the relevance of HD but if it is going to make editing easy then it will be a must for me. I was already leaning towards Panasonic, my camera being the same and which I find superb. Could you kindly explain I-link? If, like HD, it is essential for easy transference from DV tape to dvd then I'll obviously go for a machine that has it but if it isn't so necessary then perhaps the DMR-E50 would satisfy my needs. Thanks again for all your help.

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    The HHD I was refering to is the harddrive. Not to be confused with HD which stands for high definition - not available on DVD recorders yet.
    The Panny DMR-E50 does not have a harddrive but other models do.
    If you get a machine without a harddrive you can only transfer from your camcorder straight to the disc.
    If you are not familiar with what a harddrive is think of it as large data storage device inside the recorder.
    Depending on the size of the HHD it will hold say 40 hours of recordings which you can view and, more importantly edit, cut, trim, rearrange etc and then burn onto discs at leisure.
    The main connection for camcorder work is the DVi or firewire (I-link is Sony's term for this connection) that I referred to in my first post.

6. boyohboy

boyohboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Steve. Sorry for the mistakes in my previous post - I meant HDD and was thinking of the Panasonic DMR-EH50 which has an 80 gb HDD. Regarding the firewire, I presume then that the transfer quality is superior to ordinary AV?

7. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    The firewire enables digital information to be transfered directly from the camcorder to the DVD recorder. So, unlike copying through AV etc, which requires the information to be converted to analogue and then back again to digital, there is no drop out of quality.
    The EH50 has the HHD but does not have the firewire(DVi) input, in fact I don't think any of the latest Panny models have both at present.
    I would suggest you try and find one of the recently discontinued DMR-E95's or look at the Pioneer DVR 433 which does and is available for £299 (not DVD-Ram though)

8. boyohboy

boyohboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Steve, you have been very helpful.

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Steve, just to pull you on a point to save future confusion - DVI is NOT FireWire® nor i-Link - both of which are Apple/Sony names for the 1394(a) protocol devised by the IEEE.
    DVI is and will always be for display purposes - namely computer monitors and Hi-Def TVs. On the TV side, some companies will deploy both DVI & HDMI connectors, others only one or other.

10. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    At no time did I refer DVI, only to DVi

And - it will give him the benefits I described.
    And - yes it IS a firewire IEEE 1394 4 pin connection.
    This is also confirmed in the operating instructions of any Panasonic DVD recorder with this facility.
    For instance, on my DMR-E500, see page 70, second column, 1/4 way down the page. See also DMR-E95, DMR-E100, HS2 etc.
    And - as I previously stated, i-Link is Sony's term for this connection.

If anyone thinks boyohboy would be better off transferring his camcorder footage to his recorder in any other way I would be interested to hear from them.

11. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, as you can see DVI is not the same as DVi (the second contains small cap 'i'). By the way, I've never seen before of DVi, but only DVI, which is exactly for monitors only. More common terms for your DVi are FireWire, DV in, iLink. DVi is, believe me, no common term. That term is, probably, used by Panasonic only, like eg. Sony's iLink.

12. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Thanks Arts,
    As you can see though, I always refered to the connection as DVi with the small i, for input I assume.
    Also, I did refer to it in context of what to look for on the Panasonic DVD recorders.
    I also made it clear in posts #5 and #7 that this a firewire connection.
    In all fairness though, Pioneer also refer to this (firewire) connection as DV input. I think several other manufacturers have also adopted this term.

Anyway, whatever it is called, can we all agree that this connection is the best currently available for transferring footage from a digital camcorder to a DVD recorder.

13. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why have panasonic not included firewire in any of the new models, is that not a bit silly? Does anyone know if you can add this, via the PC card slot for example?

14. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Gogsboy, the new DMR-E65 has the input but no harddrive. The DMR-E500 has both but is recently discontinued awaiting replacement.
    I am informed that there will be new models available with both DV input and HHD and the current omissision of a machine with both is just a glitch in the timing of their release schedules.

15. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Panasonic DMR-EH60 has DVin (FireWire) and 200 GB HDD (See German Panasonic website). Not available in UK yet, of course. But, it wiil come...

16. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I am also have a camcorder tapes (mini-DV) that I would like to burn onto DVD disc.
    I can do this via laptop too right (with the dvd RW drve)??

I'm also pondering a DVD recorder...
    but don't want to spend too much, as everything else has cost me a bomb!!

Main DVD playback will be via my Pioneer 868avi-s on HDMi to the 435XDE plasma.

I was thinking the Pio 433 or 530 .. or older 420 model ... (due to cost)

They're all Pioneer ... but I don't suppose it matters as its not going to be HDMI (unless I spend over £900 and get the 920!! highly doubtful!) ...and even then my HDMi connection is already being used.

Advice pls?

17. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    433 looks good value.
    Has DV input plus harddrive and can be bought for £299 multiregion.

18. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    so can the 530!

is there anything decent less than £200?

19. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a E60 I think? maybe E65..was there an E60? on sale at John Lewis, it was boxed up and noticed it had DV input but never seen it mention DVD-RW recording so I just presumed it was an older model.

20. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking on the panny site there is a DMR-E65 but it look to be an older model, is the new one out yet and dont they normally change the model numbers? :rolleyes:

This site has it but no mention of DV input...or have I missed it....

http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co....02&PHPSESSID=894c11b71aa71df3974fa5db67ce667c

I was looking for a panny with DV input and to be able to record on both RAM and -RW

21. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi Pannys

Panasonic uses E symbol, eg. DMR-E55 for older recorders. For new recorders (2005) Panasonic uses ES symbol for standard and combi models or EH symbol for HDD models, eg. DRM-EH50, DMR-ES10. By the way, the repeated numbers for different generations is not a good idea. :devil:

Cheers
    ArtS