DVD Recorder , which one ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Montana, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking for a DVD recorder for my mum, and was wondering about the ones with hard drives.I have had a look at the Panasonic ones(as that's the one I have got), and they look good, even with the quality setting set to XP(highest quality)you can get 36 hours of recordings for the 160 GB version.

Have any of you got any others that I should look at, which are about the same spec and are good quality ?

Andy

2. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bump ^

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,016
    There is only the EX75 and EX85.

Identical except for Hard drive size and price.

75 - 160GB 85 = 250GB

4. Tony212

Tony212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Andy, I'm engaged in exactly the same project - buying a DVD Recorder for my mum!

Obviously the key has to be ease of use, especially in recording programmes -I think from all I've read the Panasonic EX75 seems to be the best of the bunch.

Other contenders in the same price bracket with built-in Freeview tuners:

Toshiba RD85DT 160 gig HD: 'best buy' Home Cinema Choice (Aug); 4 stars What HiFi (Sept).

Downside: no RGB input (if your mum has a satellite box for instance she will not be able to record from it at best quality); no HDMI output to TV. No dual layer recording to DVD. No input on the front for a DV camera.

Upside: good reviews, good ergonomics, easy to programme recordings. Good price.

Sony RDR HXD 560: Only been out one week. No reviews yet. I was thinking of the Sony 710 a few weeks ago but I was put off because I found out that it's not a simple process to add a few minutes to the finish time of a recording, therefore risking having the ends of programmes cut off. The 560 is brand new so I would hope that they have addressed this issue.

Upside: great ergonomics. Dual layer recording to DVD. RGB input. Good 'pause live TV' facility (single button press); better recording quality level if required - very high bitrate (called SP+, 15mbps);

Downside: no HDMI output; only 80 gig hard drive.

NB There is a 160 gig version with HDMI coming out in about one month (HXD 860).

As my mother's TV does not have HDMI I am very tempted to go for the Toshiba - about seventy pounds cheaper than the Panasonic and will do everything required.

The best price I've seen is at www.tvandvideodirect.co.uk: 253.00 pounds.

If your mum's TV accepts HDMI or DVI then I would seriously consider the Panasonic: the 'upscaling' facility means that you will view DVDs at best possible quality. It depends whether you think it's worth the extra money.

NB another consideration is machine noise! I know that my mother gets freaked out by 'noisy' technology. The Panasonic and Sony ranges are very quiet and so is the Toshiba (although not quite to the same extent).

I had also been looking at Pioneers but I found out from this forum that they are comparatively noisy (fan and disc noise).

5. charliewolf

charliewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

:lease: can anyone reccommend a high definition DVD recorder (just got a plasma and want good HD viewing).

Steve

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    There aren't any HD DVD recorders yet, the only way to get and record HD is via SKY HD.

7. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When are Hi Definition dvd recorders likely to become available?
    Should I wait for them or buy one of the so called HD DVD recorders that are currently available eg: Sony HDX 860?

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,016
    I recommend not waiting.

They are a way off yet and will be very expensive at first.

News is just out that they will be delayed further because of a possible shortage of the blue laser diodes which are required for them.

Yield has been poor and what stock there is will be required for the Sony PlayStation 3 which wil be being pushed at the end of the year [ Nov 17 scheduled release ]

What do you mean by 'so called' HD DVD recorders?
    There arent any.
    Do you mean DVD Recorders which have an HDMI connection?

9. thewul

thewul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    the hd recorders are not out yet and i think will be a while

in this country the hd players are not out yet but are around the corner and you should be able to get one before xmas ( they will not be cheap tho)

10. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks Tony. The price for my Mum is really swaying me to this model as it's about £100 less than the rest.

How stupid it doesn't have RGB input or DL Recording.

Thankfully she'll never pay for Sky, Cable etc . . . so doesn't need RGB input, nor will she ever need DV. DL is expensive and besides she's bound to be happy with 2hr SL recordings.

I was going to go for the Toshiba RD85DT a few months back (I ended up going with the Pioneer 540 as I wanted DivX and you couldn't get the Toshiba RD85DT MR at the time) I'm glad I didn't now as I'd definitely want RGB loop through, that's such a basic and needed function.