1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder vs Player Quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deadfolk, Jan 26, 2005.

1. deadfolk

deadfolk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm currently considering ways to get rid of my VCR, and the two solutions I have are Sky+ or to replace my DVD player with a recorder.

My primary concern about the DVD recorder is playback. I have a large library of films, and would not want to compromise on playback quality.

Therefore, my question is this:
    My choice of DVD recorder would be a Sony RDR-GX700. How would playback of factory-pressed discs compare with a dedicated player? For reference, I currently have a Pioneer DV-656A.

I know I would gain progressive output, which might even improve upon the quality I currently get from the Pioneer. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Sony and a comparable Pioneer player?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the playback on recorders are the same quality.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    deadfolk, nine posts below your thread (at time of writing) is this thread which covers this same sort of topic. And whilst I don't want to come across as a boring, broken record repeating "do a search!" it is wise to just scan the page your viewing for the same topic! :lesson: That said such posts are easily missed so I'll stop trying to sound righteous and answer your question.

A decent DVD recorder will not match a decent DVD player for playback. No doubt about it. Most of us here still have 'seperates' for this very reason. That said the Sony GX700 is about the best DVD recorder you can get for playback of DVDs. I can't compare it to the Pioneer model you quote - but, for a rough idea, I would rate it equivalent to a good £150 DVD player.

4. deadfolk

deadfolk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Thanks for the info.

I did search and find some information, but everything I found said something along the lines of 'Players are better, but Sony are the best recorders'. I was really looking for the confirmation you provided - i.e. that even the Sonys won't match a £300-400 dedicated player.