DVD recorder virgin seeks first time advice

almightygoodgod

I have just took the plunge into the world of SKY+ (wish it was SKY HD but can't quite afford it yet) with my new system due to be installed in my new place in a couple of weeks.

One of the primary functions I want this for is so that I can start recording and archiving Everton matches/highlights for the future so I am going to need some sort of DVD recorder. My only necessity is that I am able to edit out the adverts/match analysis that appears in the middle of games and highlights packages, can I do this with a standard DVD player that doesn't have a hard drive?

If not then I see three options open to me, buy a dvd with a hard drive (not gonna happen for a while as I'm skint), just record the DVD with the adverts and edit them on my laptop (seems time consuming) or run the output from the SKY+ box into my laptop with a USB DVD maker, I have seen one on ebay for £30 incl delivery but am not sure if they are very good.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....30014779541&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Any ideas?

Cheers

Robert

bradavon78

robfjonesuk said:
My only necessity is that I am able to edit out the adverts/match analysis that appears in the middle of games and highlights packages, can I do this with a standard DVD player that doesn't have a hard drive?
You can't do any editing on Sky+ so you'd need to edit once it's been archived off which has to mean burning to DVD-RAM discs (many Recorders support RAM so that's not a problem) as you can edit with those but that then means only a handful of players can read them.

You could then take said RAM disc and copy it standard DVD- or DVD+ , there's a guide here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/ramtor.HTML

You'll struggle to burn to DVD+ or DVD- and then edit. Yes you could to it via a PC laptop in some way shape or form but boy that looks like hassle to me. Sky+ really ISN'T designed for archiving off.

You may end up just leaving the adverts there tbh. Many DVD Players have a CM skip button that jumps forward in 30 second intervals (mine goes from 30 seconds, to 1 minute up to 3 minute intervals) designed to skip adverts/commercials. It's surprisingly better than the old fast forward.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom