DVD recorder/ VHS combos: Panasonic vs JVC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rea, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Rea

Rea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, everyone

I'm thinking of going for a DVD recorder/ VHS combo. I know VHS is becoming obsolete, but realistically I've got stuff on VHS and also friends sometimes pass me tapes, so I don't have time to record everything onto DVD.

Anyway, I'm looking for a machine that will let me record from TV onto either format and also record from DVD to VHS and vice versa (copyright permitting).

As far as I can tell, these are the two machines on the market that can do this:

The Panasonic DMR -ES30 (available on multiregion format, too, which is very handy for me)

and the JVC DR-MV1

Could anybody help me in choosing which one to go for? They all seem to cost £250-£300, so I need a quality assessment.

Many thanks!

Rea

2. TheGame7

TheGame7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe unrelated, but may be of some use - I have a standalone JVC VCR player which I purchased only a few months ago, and I must say its the best VCR I ever had. VCRs seem to be JVCs fortay and I wish I used one all those years ago when VHSs were essential. JVCs also have a Time Base Correcter which steadys the picture - not sure if that is the same for a combi device that you need though.

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    The JVC does not have RGB input which you need to consider if you intend to record from a digital source such as Sky or Freeview.

4. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The JVC has its fan running all the time you are out of standby (and also sometimes during standby if you do not select the low power mode). While not PC level noisy its enough to become annoying sometimes during quiet onscreen moments.
    Otherwise I would recommend this unit without a doubt.