DVD Recorder + VCR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by themetalguru, Feb 28, 2005.

1. themetalguru

themetalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I need to purchase a machine that has a DVD recorder and
    VCR in one unit. Obviously I need to be careful with regard to the DVD recording format. High quality is not essential.
    Can anybody :lease: help?

atb,

Alistair DJ

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Have a look at this Guide on DVD recorders. Explains the differences between the DVDR formats and will help you decide what formats/machines you want. When buying a DVDR/VCR combi you also need to be aware that some models do not include Time Base Correction in their design - this should be an essential requirement for VCR transfer.

As mentioned in the link above there are several producers that have released VCR/DVDR combi machines. The ones to look at are the JVC DR-MV1 or Panasonic DMR-E75 - these models have extensive picture processing aimed at maximising VHS quality on a DVDR. Which is ideal as VHS is a noisy source that does not compress well onto DVDR. Note their is also a JVC HDD/DVDR/VCR combi - ideal if you want/need a HDD.

3. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak's advice is spot on as usual and while combined units have the advantage of specific VHS picture processing I wonder if you are really limiting yourself as to what DVDR to get by insisting on the combination thing. I'd have thought it was far better to target a decent DVDR (or DVDR+HDD even) and just pick up a separate £30-£50 VHS machine to play the tapes into it and thus avoid being limited to only looking at "combi" machines.

Cliff

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you totally sure you want to do this ?

A VHS machine and DVD recorder in the same box connected internally would give you no option to use a Macrovision filtering cable, should you ever have the need to archive a copy-protected VHS tape. With separate VHS and DVD machines, this would not be an issue.