1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder to TV connections (RF output?)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by akpak, Aug 28, 2004.

1. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please could someone advise on DVD recorder to TV connections?

My TV has just one SCART socket, which I use for audio output to my stereo system. If you heard the TV's internal speaker, you'd appreciate how necessary this is. The only other terminal on the TV is an RF input.

I know that ideally I should be looking to connect them with a SCART lead, but can a DVD recorder also produce a suitable RF output, as my old VCR does? I'd particularly welcome comments relating to the following machines:

Toshiba RD-XS32 (a spec sheet from the US website says the RF is tuner pass-through only - does this apply to the UK model too?)

Panasonic DMR-E85 (a guy in the Panasonic shop said this was OK, but in view of what Toshiba say, I'd like to check with those who actually use the machine)

Pioneer DVR-420HS

JVC DR-MH20

If I can't get an RF output, would a SCART junction box do the trick? As far as I can see I would need it to (a) take output from the DVD, (b) link to TV as either video input (for watching DVD) or audio output (for watching TV on RF pass-through), and (c) give an audio output from either DVD or TV as required. Would a basic 2-into-1 junction do this, or would I need something more complicated and switchable in order to set the direction in (b) and the audio source in (c)?

Thanks,
    akpak

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Just a suggestion but why not connect the DVD Recorder via Scart and then use the DVD recorders audio out (stereo analogue or digital depending upon your equipment) to go to your amplifier? You then use the tuner inside your HDD/DVDR combo to change channels and watch TV (like most plasma users do). Obviously the downside of this is if your recording something from a terrestial TV channel you can't change channels. But with a HDD/DVDR combo such as the E85 or RDXS32 you can still timeslip and watch that recording, anything else on your HDD or a DVD so your not stuck for viewing.

To answer your question though: yes the Panasonic range do have an RF modulator inside and so can connect to your TV via RF. You'll be seriously downgrading the picture though :(

Have you considered upgrading your TV or is that not an option at present?

3. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Main reason for not doing this is that if I wanted to record one programme to DVD while watching another on TV I'd have to put up with lousy crackly tinny sound. Basically I would be stuck with viewing and/or recording only one channel at a time, which is a considerable disadvantage compared to my very basic VCR.

I know, but I don't think it would be any worse than my VCR. I'm prepared to trade off some quality on a temporary basis if I can get a more convenient and flexible recording set-up, but longer term - read on....

Long term I probably will do that and make sure it has enough terminals, either 2 x SCART or dedicated audio out (or else reasonable on-board sound), but I'm keen on an LCD, and would prefer to wait till they are a bit cheaper. I'm also expecting to move house within a year, so it makes sense to me to wait and see what I have room for in the new one, and what Freeview options I have then (currently none).

Good to have it confirmed that the E85 has an RF modulator, though I'd been going off that one because of the lack of -RW recording. I was disappointed to see that the Tosh doesn't have this (if this is true for the UK model), as I had almost decided on that. Unless someone can make a good case for the Pioneer or JVC, I might decide to get the TV sorted first and then get the Tosh later.

4. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Toshiba RD-XS32 does have RF pass-through for eg connection to a VCR but I'd consider a SCART switch box. Or get a cable with S-Video (for the video signal from HDD/DVR to TV -- way better than RF, which is lowest of the low) and audio out to amp.

5. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK - what kind of switch box?
    ... except that (as I thought I'd explained) the only sockets on my current TV are RF and 1 x SCART. See my earlier reply on why I don't want to have audio going direct from DVDR to amp.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/ do a Scart to Scart with 4 audio phono plugs. It's called "SCART Plug to SCART Plug Plus 4 Phono Plugs 1.5m", item no VA23A £9.99.
    Their description is "Offers the normal 21-way SCART connection between TV and video etc., with the addition of 4 moulded phono plugs. These allow the stereo audio input and output signals to be connected to external equipment with phono sockets. Lead length approximately 1.5m."
    To find their store locations click "UK stores" top LH corner.

7. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - does it have any switching (and would I need it)?

While looking around I've also seen a "Scart Adapter with Audio & Video Breakout" at http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk (product code 1079) - would this also do the trick? It occurs to me that if I was recording on the DVDR and watching the TV at the same time, then the signal out of the TV (which I would need for audio) would also reach the Scart socket on the DVDR: would it interfere with what the DVDR was trying to do?

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The astar 1079 looks ok.
    It looks like a combined plug/socket, so I assume you push the plug into your TV then the AV outs of the TV would be available thru the sockets on the device. Then your normal scart lead would plug into the socket of the 1079 and that would work as normal providing an input to the TV.

All fully wired scart leads are bi-directional all the time, except that some signals use the same wires in both directions - e.g. RGB. The things (TV, video) at the ends use or ignore what they need and switch to the correct direction when necessary.

So if your DVD is recording off-air and you are watching TV, then the TV will be sending signals down the scart, but the DVD will ignore them because its input for recording is from the aerial or other connected source (e.g. set top box if you have one).

Your TV clearly sends audio out of its scart, and as the socket is also obviously also designed for input from a VCR etc. then it should work OK to view your DVD output thru the TV scart input. and you won't therefore need to use the RF from the DVD to view recordings. The TV will at the same time send back down the scart exactly what it gets up it (except for RGB/s-video), which the DVD will ignore (as it is playing), and the 1079 will intercept the audio for you.

There is a remote possibility that the TV switches off its scart output when you select the scart as its input, but this is unlikely. There is no way to check this without a device to supply a signal into the TV's scart. So if you have a VCR with a scart you could check the arrangement with the 1079 before buying your DVD. I mention this as the Pioneer x20 HDD DVDs do not provide an RF output from recorded material.

9. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, eddyad - nice and clear!

10. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having asked advice from astar (interconnect suppliers as I mentioned before) it seems perhaps a bit complicated to do what I originally hoped, so I might go for the simple solution as Rasczak suggests here. Then on the relatively few occasions when I want to watch and record different programs I'll just have to put up with the TV's internal speaker.
    I'd just like to confirm though - will the DVDR give an audio out signal at its phono terminals (or whatever) when presumably it's sending one down the Scart as well?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes - because the phono outputs are part of the S-Video output of AV3 as opposed to in anyway linked to AV1 Scart Output. There 'normal' use for users with a Scart connection is to provide DVD-Audio to a Receiver. If you wish to confirm have a look at the Panasonic E55 manual available in the support pages of www.panasonic.co.uk where it describes precisely how you can connect your unit to a stereo amp using the Phono output.

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bearing in mind the lowish price of the 1079 scart adaptor I would think it worth trying. If you connect your audio to your DVDR you will not get your TV sound through it, and if it is recording you will get the sound of what you are recording. I wonder why Astar made it sound complicated? Perhaps because it was on the phone... All the 1079 seems to do is 'break-out' the audio which is what you want. The video breakout is immaterial.
    As the Maplin lead 'breaks out' both the outgoing and incoming audio it is marginally more flexible in placement. I assumed the audio break out of the 1079 was from the unit it is plugged into.

13. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Astar have pointed out to me that their 1083 would work just as well - audio breakout only, no video, and even cheaper.
    .. which makes that worth considering too. I wasn't sure when I looked at it whether it would take an audio signal from either end.

Thanks

14. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've checked this and it looks OK to me. However, I'm now leaning towards the Toshiba XS32 - can anyone confirm that this will work too?

15. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The maplin one will provide audio from 'both ends' - bearing in mind thet out at one end = in at the other. So the wires need only connect to the audio in and out pins of one of the scart plugs.
    The Astar plugs only give one connection and clearlty the one you get will depend which way round you use the plug. If you plug direct it into your TV you should get the TVs audio out (intercepted on its way to wherever) and if you plig it into a DVD rmachine you would get the DVD's sound intercepted on its way out.
    So with the Maplin you'd decide which pair of audio leads to use, with the Astar you'd decide which way it 'faced'.

As Rasczak said, the audio outs on a DVD machine carry the same audio signal as the scart out. All tape and disk recorders would work the same way if they have audio (and maybe video) out plugs in addition to the out scart. The A/V outs are usually at the back.
    A lot of machines have a set of 'ins' in separate plug format at the front - for video cameras and so on.

16. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My brain's beginning to hurt on this - I think maybe I'd better give it a rest. My (probably) final thought is one that others probably realised from the start:

I don't think I'm going to be able to do what I'd originally hoped unless I incorporate either a switch or some kind of one-directional component. So actually the Astar guy might have been right to suggest that kind of thing from the start - though he hasn't mentioned that his breakout (1083) is one-directional.

Anyway, I think I might settle for simple unswitched connections, and do without the TV > amp connection. And now I'm going to lie down...