1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder to sell discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by whatdoiknow, Mar 10, 2004.

1. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I produce videos to sell and possibly want to create DVD's for sale, I am aware of the + and - formats but which are the most likely to play on customers DVD players.

Also what recommendations do you have, I may not want to splash out on one with a HDD and have seen the Toshiba DR1 available for £270. 00. Is this make and model any good or would I be better off with a Panasonic or Sony.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    DVD-R is the most compatible DVDR format and so ideally you should use that. Pretty much every DVD recorder records to this format (bar Philips models and the Chinese companies that use the Philips reference, e.g. Mico).

If you want to copy material to a DVD recorder and then edit and then have a disk that is compatible on other DVD players then you NEED a HDD/DVDR combo.

To help further we really need more information. How are you planning to get your material into the DVD recorder (from an S-Video source, iLink etc etc). I can't really recommend a model until you can give this info...

3. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for delay in getting back, I am only on the Internet at work (don't tell anyone)

I film soccer matches to Digital8, then feed these into a Casablanca Avio via Firewire to edit so the finished product is output via Firewire from the Avio.

One other thought, if I wanted to create chapters I assume that if I didn't have a HDD DVD recorder I would have to do the chapters for each individual DVD, would having a HDD allow me to create chapters on the HDD which would then be put on every created DVD.

The total number of DVD's to create would possibly be less than 100.

Thanks again,

Martin

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you'd be better using a PC with Firewire, video editing software and a DVD burner. Most burners are dual format now so you could give your customer the choice of -R or +R. Or give them a -R, if it doesn't work then swap for a +R.

If you already have a pc it would be the cheapest option.

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, unfortunately the money invested in the Casablanca editing system (which I find extremely easy to use) excludes me from purchasing a PC at the moment although at some stage I will have to buy one so that my son can start to learn to use a PC.

What would be the rough cost of a PC for basically burning DVD's without the need for expensive editing software as I was really looking at a stand alone recorder but if I was to look at a recorder with a HDD then a PC may be cost effective alternative?

Thanks,

Martin

6. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a cheap PC system with Firewire input and a DVD writer for about the same cost as a HDD/DVDR combo such as the Panasonic HS2.

Edit the video using your Casablanca thingy, pipe the finished product to the PC over Firewire, set-up the DVD menus, chapters, etc. and write out to as many DVD-R's as you want.

7. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that I hadn't really given that option a thought until today, I shall have to make some enquiries.

Regards,

Martin