DVD recorder to play .mpg files

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cjg62, Nov 27, 2004.

1. cjg62

cjg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Liteon LVW5005 and find it won't play .mpg files recorded on a PC HDD from a TV tuner card and then copied to DVD. My Philips DVD player plays them okay, though. Is there a firmware update for the Liteon, or is this a fundamental limitation. If so, is there a (cheap) DVD recorder that will also play .mpg files?

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could try making them into a vcd..

3. cjg62

cjg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I've got about 30 DVDs made already with .mpg files recorded from the PC TV card. These play perfectly on the Philips DVD728 machine, but are not recognized by the Liteon!

4. rogera

rogera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not aware of any DVD players that play straight .mpg files.... :thumbsdow

Which Philips DVD player are you saying plays straight mpg files? I have a Philips too and it's hard enough getting them to play all DVD's!

I've hacked my LDW5005 (see other thread) so I'll give it a try and report back.

5. cjg62

cjg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a Philips DVD728, and plays .mpg files with no problems at all, except that it occasionally freezes when I try to fast foward 32X sometimes, and then I have to reset it by unplugging the mains socket! Other than that, it's a very good machine that plays anything you put into it.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    all the DiVX dvd players should play .mpg files without problems