DVD Recorder to go with Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DEO, May 6, 2003.

1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to use the "time slip" and hard disk recording within Sky+.

Therefore if I buy a Panny HS2 or even a Panny DMR-E50 will that become a bit unnecessary or redundant?

Is it better for me to buy a DVD Recorder which is not DVD-RAM? Any suggestions are most welcome.

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Panny is your best choice. I wouldn't touch the plus format linear recording technology with a 20,000 foot barge poll.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    P.S. sorry about the spelling!!Got a little over excited :)

4. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. I have a TiVo and an E-30 so I never use the timeslip fuction of the E-30, wouldn't swap it for another format.

Paul.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally DEO if you intend archiving a fair amount of TV programmes then go for a HDD DVDR combo as sky+ editing facilities are zero

If you get an E50 you will probably end up buying a secondary RAM player, not necessarily a bad thing as you can watch a different DVD whilst archiving.

Alternatively you may prefer to get a RAM drive on your PC

Personally if I were you I would wait for the Toshiba

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have you got a link for more info on this Tosh,or what is the model number?

How much will the Tosh be and what's up with the HS2?

7. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobbles will probably know more than me but the HS2 is being replaced with an 80GB machine, similar I suppose to the new Toshiba.

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh,right then.

They're a bit expensive for my liking though.

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a thread about the Tosh not long ago

Tosh HDD RAM recorder

it looked at around the £550 mark out in May, aparently. This is a similar price to the E60 which is not a lot different to the E50.

There was also talk of the 80Gb HS3 If memory serves correctly that was an Autumn release

After playing around with my set up for a while now I actually like it the S35 and E30 combo offers a lot of flexibility. The main one being able to watch a DVD whilst the recorder is busy.

I think even with a HDD DVDR a second DVD player is essential and a RAM based player with component outputs suits me perfectly

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    60GB,£555 + VAT according to this > https://secure.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Catalogue_DVD_recorder_198.html

Or the RD-X3 160GB HD.The largest HDD capacity on the market > http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/news_article.jsp?ID=0000002905

11. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When is it available When is it available?

Sorry to repeat myself but you get the drift of my question!

The Tosh, is it available yet?

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well its due any time now I believe. But I would not be suprised if it is late summer - autumn.

And the suggested retail is alot more than £550 - £600. it seems to be a much better unit than the HS2 so I would be suprised if they brought it out at a simliar price point.

But then again Panasonic are upgrading their HDD unit so maybe with more competition this is a realistic price.

If you can get one for £550 at launch I think it is a bargain to be honest for what you are getting. I was a little like you. Personally I think £600 is a little too much to pay with th prospect of BluRay.

£600 just feels a little to much the way prices are falling. They are talking about dvd recorders for £200 by Christmas. I Have the e50. Its a good unit and the quality is very good, much better than I thought it would be. The flexible recording mode definately helps.

I am not a fan of the Ram format to be honest mainly due to the total lack of backwards compatability. The only new players that seem to be coming to the UK market that play RAM are from Panasonic so that does not look like changing.

But the ram debate has been done to death. If you want stuff for a keeper, loan to your friends and family etc you can use -r. At 80p for decent quality disc they are throw away.

For re recording you have ram, you can get the discs for £2 and time slip is a nice little feature if you dont have Sky+ (Like me I have NTL so I can get a decent cable internet connection) I have actually used this feature much more than I thought, its a nice touch.

I was very interested in the Philips units due to the compatability of +RW with existing players (They seem to play on all pioneers for example). I could not bring myself to buy one with all the complaints I have heard about faulty units. The build quality is not meant to be great at all and warranty repairs have to go back to belgium or something to that effect to be fixed ! Play safe gor for the Panasonic e50 or wait for the Tosh if you need the HD for editing.

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    cheapelectricals says, "TOSHIBA RD-XS30 - MEMBERS CLUB PRICE
    New due this month........"

Have you rang Tosh?

14. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent rang Tosh but I think it is any day now...

15. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Chaps,

I have but they have not got anything to tell us at the mo.. That's including brochures what not... I reckon a little cat and mouse antics are going on. With the Kiss product due out soon and Pioneer and Panny, Goodmans and good old Mico (Far east stuff) are all chipping-in with their products.....It is a matter who blink first!