DVD Recorder to accompany Samsung LE32R51BD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Croker, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi!

I recently bought the Samsung LE32R51BD 32" LCD TV, and now I'm in the process of working out which accesories would best suit it. I've currently got a multi-region Sony RDR-GX3, which I've been happy with as it covers all 4 DVD recording formats (well, not DVD-RAM, but you know what I mean!)

Anyway, I'd like another multi-region DVD recorder, possibly with a HDD too. I do like my Sony stuff, so I'd prefer to go again with them, but I'm open to suggestions, including entire devices that I haven't even considered as an alternative :D

What I have noticed is that my current Sony has component outputs, amongst several others. However, it doesn't have HDMI. Are there any Sony DVD recorders with HDMI-out? If so, which ones? And would they upscale the image when playing DVDs to 720p, or similar, if connecting to my TV through the HDMI port?

I ask because I'll be getting an Xbox 360 in November, and that will be giving me HD images through the TV's component input. Obviously, I can't use the component input for the DVD recorder if the Xbox 360's using it, hence my investigation to find one that has HDMI-out.

Sorry for rambling so much...can anyone help? :D

2. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    snap - just bought a similar tv samsung le32r41BD and am currently looking at the samsung dvdhr725 which has 160GB hard disk, and hdmi output, costs approx £330 but I don't know how good it is - can hardly find any info on it.

Will probably go for that one, but might wait until I get back from the US next week as I might be able to pick up a bargain there.

Don't know if it helps.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Remember that everything about the US TV system is different from ours:
    525 lines instead of 625
    NTSC instead of PAL
    Use region 1 DVDs instead of 2 (but multi region would overcome that)
    No scarts
    If your TV is NTSC compatible that might help, but I'm not sure I'd risk it.
    Duty and VAT could be payable

4. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Horlock

Have you bought the Samsung yet? I started looking at one of these yesterday and like you can't find a lot of info including Samsung website.

Cheers Steviemacca

5. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm at least if this unit is new to the country which migth explain the limited information.

Thanks.
    Steviemacca

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Did a quick Google search and came up with the following:

Samsung DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc Drive
    DVD-RAM/-RW/-R Recording
    DVD-RAM/-RW/-R Playback
    HDMI Output
    DV Input
    Chapter Creator
    160GB HDD
    Recording Time (EP Mode): Max 278 HR
    Quick Dubbing (HDD to DVD)
    Simultaneous Recording & Playback with HDD only
    Easy Editing Function
    Dimension (W*H*D mm) 430 x 79 x 250

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Martin.

7. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got one today, but I have to wait before installing it because the wife :nono: wont let me play until I lay the laminate flooring in the lounge - fair enough I suppose.

Anyway - story is I got it in Richer Sounds - it isn't in their catalogue but it is on the web for £399. Anyway I phoned and they got one sent to Cardiff for me - took a print out from pricerunner - Richer Sounds tried to phone the top company and couldn't get an answer so they price matched - (they wouldn't price beat because they said their model was better - it is multiregion - bargain).

So the ins and outs definately recommend Richer Sounds. I got a multi region one (while I know I could probably get a crack for the player here - this way I have a fully guaranteed, cracked one). I opted out of the extended warranty - but with RS it is excellent - cos you get it all back after 3 years if you don't use it.

Nice one RS :smashin:

8. jabberwocky-

jabberwocky-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, any news on how good the DVDHR725 is?? pester pester pester LOL. :)

9. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not as good as I expected to be honest.

I still haven't gone through all the features or even half or a quarter or probably a 10th but so far I've been disappointed with the speed that the player does anything. Sluggish in my opinion, press open draw and I expect it to open not to have to wait for it to open, press play I expect it to play, not to wait to load.

It does have nice features and it records in good quality plus I like having the hdmi out, the picture is phenominal compared to what I used to have. The sound is much better too, still not sure what features are better because of the player though and what are better because of better TV, better amp etc.

Hope this helps some rooky like myself - who doesn't even know what most of the acronymns on this site actually stand for. In terms of expert advice I guess you'll need an expert to answer these.