DVD Recorder Sourcing Confusion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DavyT, Aug 28, 2004.

1. DavyT

DavyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm new hear so apologies if any of my questions have been covered a thousand times :D

I'm looking to purchase a DVD Player/Recorder but it must satisfy the following criteria...

1. Play DVDs ;)
    2. Record on to DVD+RW (so its compatible with my PC)
    3. Is multi-region
    4. Can play RCE discs
    5. Can play DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, Video CD, CD audio, CD-R/RW

If it can do any of the following optional features too it would be nice but not necessary

1. Play Kodak Picture CDs
    2. Has VHS player/recorder built in
    3. Has a hard drive built in

So does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think its too much to ask from a single DVD device is it? :D

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    By choosing DVD+RW recording you are limiting your options for a quality machine dramatically. DVD+RW recorders typically come from cheap Chinese brands and tend to be found in Supermarkets as opposed to up market electrical retailers. Indeed the only quality brands that make DVD+RW recorders are Thompson, Philips and Sony. Thompson DVD recorders are somewhat over-priced for what they offer. Philips DVD recorders are unreliable to say the best. So my advice is to have a look at the new Sony range which are the only DVD+ recorders to offer TBC for archiving off VHS (one of your requirements by the looks of your original post):

Sony RX300
    Sony RX500
    Sony RX700

..or if you want a model with a HDD then look at:

Sony RX900
    Sony RX1000

Why not go for any DVD recorder which can read DVD+RW/+R? That way you can play your PC DVD recordings on your new recorder and then you'll have the whole range of DVD recorders open to you meaning you can buy a quality product as opposed to be forced down a narrow, limited market.

3. DavyT

DavyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Rasczak, your advice is very much appreciated. :)

Being new to the DVD recording scene I hadn't realised the dramatic difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RAM etc.

I think your suggestion of a machine that can playback DVD+RW would be the best option.

I'll have a hunt around, I've since seen some recorders offer iLink for DV compatibility, now I'm getting even more things to choose from :eek:

4. DavyT

DavyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

I have to thank you again re the info your + or - media sticky post, it's helped bring me to the decision a hard disk recording device would be most useful for me.

I'm only after recording the odd program from cable / tv so a HDD would be better suited I guess. The Sony RX900 you mentioned looks perfect with all its features it includes the iLink input which is fantastic.

Thanks ever so much for your help, I'm truly grateful, there's so many models, features and 'standards' to choose from you've been a great help.

Cheers

Dave

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    On PCs DVD+RW/+R does have numerous benefits over standard DVD-RW implementation and gets my full support. Technically DVD+RW is superior to DVD-RW (although various software solutions remedy this). However on set-top units, despite having a solid technical base, it is limited by the +VR specification which was drawn up by Philips which prevents it from ever seriously competing with the features of the 'minus' camp (although note that if you get one of the Sony HDD/DVDR combos these limitations become a non-issue).

Just a note about DVD-RAM though - whilst the features offered by such a recorder are fantastic, if you buy a recorder that uses this you will probably need to get a new DVD-ROM drive for your PC (cost around £20). Have a look at my PC Guide (scroll down to Post #2) for advice on that. Accordingly you may want to consider a DVD-RW recorder (e.g. Toshiba, Samsung, JVC, Pioneer) that requires no additional hardware.

You'll find quite a large number of recorders have iLink: it's worth getting a recorder with this type of connection if you plan to get a Digital Camcorder. Other uses such a connection could potentially be used for (e.g. transfer to a PC) tend to be prevented.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    HDD/DVDR combos are the best all-round solution at the moment. The Sony RDX900 is fairly new and nobody knows much about it at the moment but it does look like a potentially excellent machine. It offers DVD+RW and DVD+R recording which is likely to be a bonus for you given your PC drive.

The current favourite HDD/DVDR combo though is the Toshiba RDXS32. It's quite a complex machine but offers considerable options and is well worth a look. Why not have a read of the review thread to see if it's for you.