DVD Recorder & Sky Box - Help please!

allengn

Standard Member
I am looking to purchase a DVD Recorder with HDD. However I would like it to be able to 'control' my Sky box (not Sky+) so that I can set it to change / record different channels. (As opposed to a 'simple' SCART connection which records whatever channel the Sky box is on).

I believe there are DVD recorders out there which can do this, however its not clear from the manufacturers sites whether they do this and enquiries in my local 'out-of-town' retailers have not proved successful.

Any assistance, advice, tips etc. would be greatfully received.

sparky_paul

There are several DVD/HDD recorders which come with an infra red transmitter, or 'IR mouse', which can control a Sky box. You can set a timer on the recorder and it will change channel on the box, however this does mean setting timers manually each time you want to record something.

A more complete solution is a recorder with a built in EPG such as Guideplus - see here for more info...

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

Here's a handy list of Guideplus equipped machines, not recently updated though...

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/En/our_service/models.html

HTH:thumbsup:

Fast Jon

Novice Member
An alternative approach would be to get a recorder with an external link function. You put the programs you want in the Sky planner and it activates the recorder when the program starts. Panasonics have this feature and I'm sure other brands do too.

sotonjoe

I'm in a similar situation myself.

with regards to the solution above, could you just confirm that, if I did this, I wouldn't be able to watch a sky channel different to the one being recorded whilst the recording was in process?

I'm trying to get my head round what combinations of channels I would be able to record / view simultaneously. I do have a built-in freeview tuner on my tv so I'm presuming I could watch any channel through that.

Fast Jon

Novice Member
...with regards to the solution above, could you just confirm that, if I did this, I wouldn't be able to watch a sky channel different to the one being recorded whilst the recording was in process?
Yes I can confirm this; the DVDR will record whatever channel has been set on the Sky box.

I'm trying to get my head round what combinations of channels I would be able to record / view simultaneously. I do have a built-in freeview tuner on my tv so I'm presuming I could watch any channel through that.
You could record Sky and watch Freeview and vice-versa (assuming you are able to pass the freeview signal from your TV to your DVDR).
If you bought a DVDR with Freeview you would have 2 freeview tuners and could then record one freeview channel and watch another.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom