dvd recorder--sky+--32" plasma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cochranv, Feb 8, 2009.

1. cochranv

cochranv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought a shiny new LG 32PG6000 plasma and am wondering how best to connect it up with sky+ and my sony HXD870 dvd recorder. :confused:

When connected to my 28" crt I set it up as follows:

sky+ RGB--->dvd recorder
    dvd recorder(scart)---->TV

Aerial--->dvd recorder
    dvd recorder rf out--->tv aerial

Fairly simple, but not sure how best to do it with my plasma, which, whilst only 'HD ready" 1024x720p, it still deserves the best connections I can give it. The three ways I can think of are...

1. Exactly as current crt setup.

2. sky+rgb--->dvd recorder (for best recording source)
    dvd recorder hdmi out(upscale to 720p)--->TV
    Aerial passthru to dvd recorder as per (1.)

3. sky+rgb-->dvd recorder (for best recording source)
    sky+composite-->TV
    Aerial passthru to dvd recorder as per (1.)

The problem with using HDMI out from the dvd recorder is that the unit would have to on all the time (NOT on standby), which doesn't seem ideal.

Is it better to upscale the sky+rbg using the dvd hdmi out, or having a direct composite out from the sky+ box and leaving the tv to do the upscaling?

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated. (I also have a ps3, but assume that this is just a simple direct hdmi connection).

ta.

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    seems to me that any of your solutions would work , but the RGB scart to scart passthrough is the most convenient as the sony recorder can stay on standby when not in use

some members here insist on using hdmi and there are pros and cons to that , as you have found out ( I dont agree that hdmi upscaling is any improvment , I believe in feeding HD inputs from an HD source , like the ps3 )

using sky vcr to tv is another alternative as you rightly say

it really comes down to ease of use and what you will accept

so trial and error of all the above solutions should tell you which is best for you

3. cochranv

cochranv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I'm just trying to avoid hours of faffing about with the various configuratons to find the best one, so was hoping for a resounding "You should do x, y z, you idot" - Yes, I am a lazy git!

Ah well, I'd better get started rooting around the back of the TV! :D