• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD recorder siting.

Jathrodean

Standard Member
The manual with my Panasonic DMREX75 recorder advises against housing it in a cabinet. Is this a big deal or should it be OK if there is space around it and ventilation holes at the rear of the cabinet for the heat to escape?

pjclark1

Prominent Member
If you don't have it out in the open it will only last 18 months.
(dependent on make and model)
The extra heat will severely reduce its working life.

RBJTech

Established Member
pjclark1 said:
If you don't have it out in the open it will only last 18 months.
(dependent on make and model)
The extra heat will severely reduce its working life.

I think that's a bit of a sweeping statement !

It's a simple matter of air flow - the unit has a small 30mm fan in the back of it which is used to actively cool the HDD. If you have it in a closed cabinet then the fan will just pump around hot air making the unit fail - if the unit has a decent amount of air flow, then everything should be fine. It goes without saying that putting the unit on top of hot amps etc is a bad idea too - try and put it on the bottom shelf where it should be the coolest. Just look at the ventalation holes/slats, they are there for a reason ... :)

foneman

Established Member
yes, if you must have it in a cabinet, make sure you get out your fretsaw, and cut some nice big vents in the back!!

and preferably get some large (120mm) quiet PC fans fitted in there too!!

you just need a dc PSU - voltage switchable would also enable you to make them quieter, by reducing the volts from the standard 12V... :thumbsup:

Mike Groves

Established Member
Can't fault my Sony 710 recorder on the heat output & sound front. After a couple of hours work it's casing temperature hasn't changed a bit. And I have to press my ear to it to see if the fan is running it's so quiet.

If only the Sky HD box was like that!! And as for my Yamaha 2600 - well, I could use that instead of the cooker in the kitchen.....

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom