DVD Recorder - recommendations sub £250

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nic@highgroundd, Feb 7, 2005.

1. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On this forum, the eternal question; 'Which DVD Recorder sub-£250'?

Except we have a few stipulations which should hopefully highlight one or two particular models:

Coaxial digital out essential (as Optical already taken on the amp.)
    Quality playback of commercial DVD's essential
    Ability to link up to Panasonic Viera (Q-Link) preferred
    RGB / Progressive scan (necessary for Viera set-up?)

Hard Drive not a necessity

Any help much appreciated ...

2. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, there's lots of talk of this RDXS 32 model?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes - the Toshiba RDXS32 is a very popular model (for good reason) but it is well over £250.

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for general advice on DVD recorders. However to look at some of your points:

The Samsung DVDR100, Hitachi DVDR7000 and Toshiba DR3 all offer this at the price point you mention. The popular Panasonic and Pioneer ranges do not so discount them. JVC models also have coaxial digital auido input but these lack RGB input which may be an important issue for you.

Quality is, of course, subjective. However from the machines mentioned above the Hitachi does impress as does the JVC. The Samsung is above average although not quite as good as the Hitachi with component. I haven't yet tried the UK Toshiba DR3 (I was sent a non-UK progressive scan model) so am reluctant to recommend it one way or another.

Progressive isn't required for use with your Viera (which will probably do a better job that some sub-£300 effort anyway). The Hitachi offers component, the JVC range offers full progressive scan, the Samsung and Toshiba only offer Scart.

Again have a read of the 'Which DVD Recorder?' thread just to make sure!

4. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for extensive info. - much appreciated, and the links. To elaborate, I know the DVD Recorder basics and thus can recognise the merits of owning a hard drive alongside a disc burner.

We currently have a Philips DVDR-610 and are considering an early swap - it exhibits the usual Philips foibles (too extensive to run through at the moment). Despite the firmware upgrade its still bonkers.

The most annoying aspect is that we bought a recorder after demoting the legendary Samsung DVD 709 ... the 709 swayed so much out of sync with audio it was something to behold. And now, having supposedly upgraded, the 610 drifts out of time. As amplifiers transmit only the source fed into it the amp. was discounted as the cause, and as Sky has no audio delay it must be the DVD recorder.

Needless to say its back to looking for a decent DVD recorder that records and doesn't drift out of audio timing.

I noticed you'd indicated a Samsung - which is resonably priced - is it okay? (a broad enough question) ... I wouldn't mind stepping up to the Toshiba if it would actually work. Any news on the Q-Link ability?

Cheers!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes the Samsung is quite a nice little DVD recorder. It came out well in my tests (it is based on the Panasonic E50), offers excellent value for money and is laden with features including DVD-RW recording, iLink and coaxial output.

You won't really find audio sync too much of a problem with most DVD recorders these days. The LGs have issues - but no other main brands at present have regular problems. Naturally I wouldn't recommend a Philips DVD recorder given the high possibility of some sort of problem down the line...

I'm afraid I don't comment on this. I do not have the ability to test this on DVD recorders than come through my setup so my knowledge is limited to the manuals I have read. I criticise others for all theory and no pratical knowledge - but with regards to Q-Link I am in a similar position only having seen it in operation on Panasonic DVDRs - therefore I do not comment.

6. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I briefly read your musings on the 'Philips' subject on other threads. You might like to add into future discussions that whilst deliberating on the purchase of the 610-R (which was new on the shelf at the time with an excellent price tag) we were advised 'not to go with a Philips' ... so we proceeded to go with the Philips ... I had seen that the 610 had superceded the popular R 70 from a while ago and presumed Philips wouldn't make similar mistakes which I assumed were associated with earlier machines. Which all results to now posting here ensuring I listen to advice.

So with the Samsung DVD-709 AND the Philips DVDR-610 BOTH floating off time with hideous precision you can understand my concerns.

The Panasonics have excellent write-ups, and presumably Q-Link up to the Viera, the only stumbler being that the PS2 is already plugged into the Optical socket. The Samsung does seem to be fine for the job, and having done a bit of research seems to be based on Panasonic architecture.

You say you've actually tested this machine - in your valuable experience does it 'perform well'? It has a VideoPlus feature - is this possible with the Viera DVB / Sky etc.?

(I appreciate your replies - you are helping out a lot)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    With regard to picture quality and playback it is identical to the Panasonic E50 on which it is based. Whilst this is now an old (!) model it still performs better than some of the competition: the Pioneer range for example. All in all it will make decent quality recordings that you could only really better (and then only marginally) by getting one of the latest Panasonic or Sony models. My only gripe is that 'flexible record' is only available using Timer - not the end of the world but an annoyance none the less. All in all though it comes highly recommended.

The Videoplus feature will just start the recorder recording at the required time. It will record from your Viera and/or Sky provided your tuned into that channel.

May I suggest if you are considering the Samsung DVDR100 then why not download the manual for the product? I think you'll find it on Samsung's UK page ( www.samsung.co.uk ).