DVD Recorder recommendations Please

nemesiz

Standard Member
As a complete newbie, I’m looking for advice, recommendations, and personal reviews. At present I’m contemplating purchasing a DVD Recorder to replace the video recorder and the budget is between £150 - 200 (without a Hard Drive) to £280 (with a Hard Drive) for Christmas. The DVD Recorder will primarily used to record television programs from cable (NTL Pace Digital Box connected via an RGB Out / In Scart). Also the recordings will also be viewed on a second Toshiba SD 130E or 210E DVD player, so the media must be DVD R/W compatible.

After reading which ‘DVD Recorder’ and searching AV Forums, and online- magazine reviews, I’m possibly leaning towards the Pioneer DVR 230 or 433-H, as the Panasonic DMR E-10/30 and Toshiba RD XS-34 lacks the DVD-RW compatibility in Video Mode. Is there any new DVD Recorders to be released before Christmas from other manufacturers JVC, etc?

Current Setup:

Toshiba 32ZD26P 32 Inch Flat Screen Television with Pal Progressive Scan
NTL Digital Box Pace Model D14001NC.

Thank You

Shane

H

HelenS

nemesiz said:
As a complete newbie, I’m looking for advice, recommendations, and personal reviews. At present I’m contemplating purchasing a DVD Recorder to replace the video recorder and the budget is between £150 - 200 (without a Hard Drive) to £280 (with a Hard Drive) for Christmas. The DVD Recorder will primarily used to record television programs from cable (NTL Pace Digital Box connected via an RGB Out / In Scart). Also the recordings will also be viewed on a second Toshiba SD 130E or 210E DVD player, so the media must be DVD R/W compatible.

After reading which ‘DVD Recorder’ and searching AV Forums, and online- magazine reviews, I’m possibly leaning towards the Pioneer DVR 230 or 433-H, as the Panasonic DMR E-10/30 and Toshiba RD XS-34 lacks the DVD-RW compatibility in Video Mode. Is there any new DVD Recorders to be released before Christmas from other manufacturers JVC, etc?

Current Setup:

Toshiba 32ZD26P 32 Inch Flat Screen Television with Pal Progressive Scan
NTL Digital Box Pace Model D14001NC.

Thank You

Shane
Actually, the current Panasonic models (DMR-ES10 and DMR-ES20D are the non-HDD versions, the latter with Freeview, which you might not need, and DMR-EH50 (80GB HDD) and DMR-EH60D (200GB HDD and Freeview) *are* compatible with DVD-RW in video mode - i.e. straightforward, not-particularly-flexible-but-very-compatible mode. So is the Toshiba XS34. I have the Panasonic EH60D so I am sure of this. They won't record in the far more flexible "VR" mode on DVD-RW (though they will play it back) because that duplicates the functionality of DVD-RAM (maybe you meant VR mode when you referred to "video mode"?). The Pioneer 433H does do VR mode recording; I don't know how compatible with VR mode the Toshiba players you mention would be. Are they compatible with DVD-RAM? I've no idea and you indicate not, but I just wondered since as Toshiba's recorder is DVD-RAM, it'd make sense for their players to be able to handle it - Panasonic's players do.

I'd advise you, if you can afford to, and if you do a lot of recording off TV, to try to go for an HDD model because it's just marvellous having all that space to record in, and having it all to hand without fiddling around loading DVDs either to look for recordings or find one with enough space for what you want to record next - and of course it massively increases the flexibility of what you can do with watching and recording at the same time.

nemesiz

Standard Member
Thank You Helen

Unfortunately the Toshiba SD 130 or 210E DVD Players cannot play DVD Ram media. Currently I'm searching for a DVD Recorder which is compatible with DRD-R/W Video Mode due to it's backwards compatibilty with older Toshiba Players, and it's ability to re-record on the same media. My confusion with the Panasonic DMR ES10 lies though with the differences with the technical specifications on the reviews/official website and commercial websites which state that DVD-R/W recording is not supported in Video mode. Thus i'm leaning towards the Pioneer 433H DVD Recorder, but need to ensure the compatability, picture quality, ease of use and competitive price.

H

HelenS

nemesiz said:
Thank You Helen

Unfortunately the Toshiba SD 130 or 210E DVD Players cannot play DVD Ram media. Currently I'm searching for a DVD Recorder which is compatible with DRD-R/W Video Mode due to it's backwards compatibilty with older Toshiba Players, and it's ability to re-record on the same media. My confusion with the Panasonic DMR ES10 lies though with the differences with the technical specifications on the reviews/official website and commercial websites which state that DVD-R/W recording is not supported in Video mode. Thus i'm leaning towards the Pioneer 433H DVD Recorder, but need to ensure the compatability, picture quality, ease of use and competitive price.
Video mode DVD-RW recording IS supported on the Panasonic, most definitely (I've done it on it's sister model the EH60D). The confusion on websites (which are always a bit patchy) will probably be because the previous range of Panasonics (DMR-E55 et al) didn't officially take DVD-RW. Some reviews said you could get away with it but I had one and it didn't like the DVD-RWs I offered it!

I'm pretty sure the Toshiba XS34 also can do video mode on DVD-RW too (actually most recorders can) but technically, shouldn't that be the "most compatible" of all with Toshiba players?

Mind you, the Pioneer 433H is very good value and a nice-looking machine too. And if you need to keep at that price level, definitely worth it for the HDD instead of just the DVD drive.

Trending threads

Top Bottom