DVD Recorder quality?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thejudge, Sep 30, 2004.

1. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed on a few posts that DVD recorders only give you true quality recording in XP or the best mode................. is that even off a digital signal as i don't see the point in upgrading from a VCR if the quality isn't as good as the true signal unless you only record 1 hour on a disc.

If i'm wrong please correct me :lesson:

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Generally the top 3 recording modes (Sony's top three are HQ 60, HSP 90 and SP 120 mins recording time, but these vary from manufacturer) can record the true native resolution from SD Sky or Freeview signals.

3. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dean.

I'm on the lookout for a DVD recorder which will be affordable, future proof and reliable but didn't know if it was worth it at the moment with so many manufacturers offering different specifications etc

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I use a Panasonic E60 mainly to record programmes from a Sky digibox and although it has a Flexible Record option I generally just let the thing record in its SP mode which gives 2 hours per DVD.

I'm always surprised when folks are wary of relegating their VCRs.
    In my opinion the SP picture quality is virtually indistinguishable from the original broadcast, something none of my VCRs ever came close to.

John

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yes using SP will almost always be identicle in quality to what you record off Sky. I haven't looked back since getting a DVD recorder, only problem though is not being able to record in 5.1 !

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Youll never buy future proof. You can only delay the innevitable upgrade.

i bought now knowing in 4-5 years time I will by the 50G per disc/1 Terrabyte HDD model thatll be given away free with cornflakes.

Even at this early stage all models even the poorer ones are a leap forward from VCR.

7. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do the same with my Pio 520 but transferring the material from my DV comcorder ( using Firewire input ) I record in the Fine Mode which is the best one.

There are no boubts about it.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Set top dvd recorders are very new technology
    (plasma screens are tried and tested items in comparison)
    buy a dvd recorder (philip dvdr70 is now £105) use it for 2 years
    then chuck it,cos summit far better will be available then.

9. Skwarei's

Skwarei's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with all the replys to thejudge's original question.
    Everybody seems to have forgotten another advantage. ie. Random Access...

The ability to record several things to a DVD, then choose which one to play from a menu WITHOUT having to wait ages to find something on VHS. Chapters are good too.

But the clincher has got to be quality. Like some of the previous replys, I record in normal 'SP' mode (2hrs/DVD) from a digibox. I cannot see any difference between the recording and off air.

So go on, treat yourself ;-)

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    :nono: That is perhaps the worst piece of advice I have ever seen on this forum. Having seen several of PJ Clarks posts I have no doubt we have every different views over the type of equipment we would permit into our Home Cinema setups however suggesting this approach is, IMHO, outrageous.

Firstly DVD recorders are not exceptionally new: they have been around for FIVE years now - and they are very refined products now. MPEG2 technology (on which they are all based) has been around MUCH longer and knowledge and refinement of the technology is nearing it's peek. Perhaps Mr Clark is suggesting that High Def recording devices will be available in two years - indeed they will - but they will be high-end kit! And in fours years there will be something even better so his advice will probably be to get another DVD recorder!

Secondly the DVDR70 (including it's sister models the DVDR75/80) have a terrible reputation. Anyone who doubts this do a search of this forum! Furthermore do a search of the internet and other forums. You will find universal, global reliability problems - ones Mr Clark may well suffer himself in due course. Still as he clearly doesn't intend to archive anything he can quite happily put his recordings in the same bin as the recorder.

Over 20 years of buying and use AV equipment in Home Cinema/home recording setups has taught me it's worth buying a good quality piece of kit that will last four to five years - at the end of that period it will still give good service. Those who move from cheap nasty product to cheap nasty product never get a quality service from there gear.

Effectively the advice given from PJ Clark is to buy perhaps the very worst DVD recorder available now on the basis that something better will be available soon. Whilst he may be trying to explain his purchase of the infamous DVDR70 to himself this way, it would be manafestly wrong for me not to point out the flaws in this 'suggestion'. :lesson:

11. virus uk

virus uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Had a philips dvdr880 for 2 and half years with no problem usings every day.looking to get one for son,s birthday, Where are philips dvdr70 for £105.00 as that a good price.
    many thanks

12. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts on quality on my Panasonic E85

XP Mode (1 hour) is brilliant, qialuty is exactly the same as the original broadcast
    SP (2 Hr) I cant see any difference, so thats great too
    LP (4Hr), I can see a drop in quality, I'd say the same as a very, very good VHS recording
    EP 6 Hour, is a no-go. The quality drops but in near static movement, its ok, but it is not smooth with movement. But........Its great for kids cartoons.
    FR Mode, the manual sux, you need to know how to use this mode. I use it as a custom mode, which is more usful than what little it descibes in the manual.
    I havent had mine for long, but here in NZ we can get extremely good TC quality. Some programs, the quality is very good, or good, so in these ones you could easily get the same result in recording at a lower mode.

All in all, my main interest was an expensive VCR, I wanted quality recordings, and that is what you get. The other features such as HDD, basic editing to DVD, timeslip, play while record, these are great.

AS to other comments, well, if this device gives me recordings that are essentially the same as the TV, then what more can you want? PC's can get faster, games can get better, but a good DVD recorder now gives perfect quality recording. A bigger HDD is no issue really, my 80GB is plenty. I have a DVD collection, I dont intend to use the HDD as long term storage. Havng 18 hours on XP, or 36 hours on SP or 72 hours on LP is plenty. If recorders were good, and getting better, then yes consider waiting, but IMHO, they have got there.

Cheers

13. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm puzzled why the shop bought pre recorded dvd's that I have bought are in a different league to my panny e55 with regards to picture quality. XP is fine- much the same as the original. SP starts to get blocky. Yet a shop bought-well mastered- dvd with a three hour playback (on average) has much more detail and zero blocks/ aftefacts.

I'm guessing professional dvd recorders record at much higher resolution or bitrate?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    That's because your E55 has to encode everything from (relatively) poor quality broadcast standards using a budget MPEG2 encoder in realtime! In addition the whole process goes through the analogue domain at some point (at broadcast for analogue TV, at the Scart conenction for Sky/Freeview boxes).

By contrast a commercial DVD is produced from an all-digital process from high quality digital masters (i.e. recorded in a lossless format) and then encoded into MPEG2 normally using 3 pass, non-realtime re-encoding.

In addition the MPEG encoding is done by slightly (!) higher grade components than an E55. Surely you don't believe that a machine that costs around £180 now is the same device as used by the distributers for authoring their DVDs?

15. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    And what's more, the commercial DVDs are generally dual layer giving close to twice the storage capacity.

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Philips 880 used for 2 years with no problems.I simply do not believe it,especially as Philips themselves have admitted that this machine was produced with faulty components.If the above post is true,you are the only one,as every other machine has been sent to the repair shop at least once,and more often twice or even 3 times

17. virus uk

virus uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes bought in july 02 from amazon ,used to record something at least once every day ,only use philips dvd rw discs in sp .Watch pre recorded dvd s fine ,best bit of kit i ever bought cant tell the diff from sky broadcasts in sp mode on my philips 36in tv.so def wanna get a other for son.perfer dvd rw as to lead to others and play on x box and incar dvd.The only thing i found was the x box does not like things recorded in lp mode apart from that the best thing i ever spend money on.

xbox gametag virus uk