DVD recorder + PVR

largesack

Standard Member
Could someone tell me if there is a DVD recorder/HDD machine that works like a PVR....i think someone mentioned on the forum that Philips do one but i'm not sure if it does HDMI upscaling which is another feature i would like.

Gavtech

Administrator
Can you explain what you mean by 'works like a PVR' ?

choccy

Standard Member
I've just purchased a SAMSUNG DVDSH853M.

It has a 160gb HD with dvd recorder and Freeview.

Kevo

Sorry, what i mean is the "live" TV recording that PVR's do, my mum has a sagem that records the last 2 hours of which ever channel you have on, all the time.

AFAIK, you have to hit the record button first, then you will have access to what you recorded (pause, rew etc). Not quite as good as a PVR but then again you will have editing options, record from an external source and be able to dub to a DVD, which of course a PVR can't do.

TobyW

Sorry, what i mean is the "live" TV recording that PVR's do, my mum has a sagem that records the last 2 hours of which ever channel you have on, all the time.

Yes they do exist. In Australia there is a DGTEC machine, but I suspect it's local to the Oz part of the world and might not be available in the UK.

For the record, I tried one out. This was a feature-laden DVD/HDD recorder, which also continuously recorded to a few hours' worth of circular buffer. Unfortunately it was fiddly to use, ran rather hot, and had a serious lip-sync problem on playback. I sent it back.

choccy

Standard Member
Ok, thanks for the reply. :smashin:

It arrived yesterday and I have to say it is very nice.

The EPG is set with 4 channels on a page and changes channel you are watching depending on the channel you are highlighting, I hope I can change this but if not it is a small niggle.

But it looks very nice. Very easy to record and cut out the adverts etc. I will play more tonight.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom