• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD recorder & PVR connections

C

Canupt

Advice most welcome on how to connect a TV to DVD recorder and PVR/HDD freeviw box to achieve the following:

- record from TV to PVR HDD;
- record from TV to DVD recorder;
- copy recorded PVR programmes to DVD
without having to adjust connections.

The kit is

- Old-ish Panasonic TV ( 2 scarts);
- Humax PVR-8000T (Aerial RF in & RF out), 2 scarts (TV & VCR), Video phono connection;
- Panasonic DMR-E55 recorder (RF In & Out), 2 Scarts (AV1 TV & Decoder/Ext),
Component Video Out, S-Video (Out & AV4 IN), Audio/Video phono connections (Out & AV4 IN).

Many thanks

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Connect via Scart as follows:

Humax PVR-8000T TV Out >>>> AV2 on the E55 and then AV1 >>>> TV AV1

Humax PVR-8000T VCR Out >>>> TV AV2

Connect the RF circuit: Humax >> E55 >> TV

If your TV has component inputs (which I doubt if it's "old") then you could replace the Scart connection between the E55 AV1 and TV AV1 with a component cable (plus a left/right audio one from AV3). But I wouldn't worry about this yet.

- record from TV to PVR HDD;
- record from TV to DVD recorder;
- copy recorded PVR programmes to DVD
without having to adjust connections.
With the setup I describe you'll be able to record onto your Humax from it's internal tuner, record from the PVR to the E55 (in RGB quality) and use the internal analogue tuner of the E55. In addition you'll be able to watch Freeview on your Humax when you E55 is recording on it's internal tuner via the second scart to the TV (albeit in video rather than RGB).

C

Canupt

Finally got round to reconnecting my kit as per your recommendations. It works as you said it would. Many thanks.

Tellyfiend

Established Member
The Humax outputs in S-Video from its VCR scart socket, so if you set this to s-video and the TV's 2nd scart to s-video, you'll get a better picture than normal composite.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom