1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder Purchase Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by firstwave, Aug 17, 2004.

1. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at puchasing a DVD recorder for a while, but cannot seem to find one that meets my requirements.

Can anyone suggest a recorder that meets the following spec (the only one I have found with all the below is the Dixons' Grundig one which had bad reviews)

Component Output
    Progressive Scan
    Scart Input
    SVideo Input
    Composite Input
    SPDIF Out

Most of the ones I have looked at seem to lack at least one of the above. I don;t mind whether it is a + - or dual unit.

Not looking at too expensive (£300 max)

Can anyone help with this please.

Thanks

darren

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    A number of DVD recorders have all of the above and are considerably better than the Grundig (which uses a Philips reference design). Look at:
    - JVC DMR10
    - Panasonic E55
    - Toshiba DR1

If you can clarrify what you want to do with your DVD recorder, i.e. record from Sky, VHS, Camcorder etc, then we can provide more detailed guidance. You need to determine this as the functionality of DVD recorders is fundamentally different between DVDR formats.

3. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be quite honest I dont want to do much with it. The DVD recording will hardly be used. It is more a case of I want progressive scan playback, with the ability to maybe record the odd program off of tivo (but this will be very rare) (scart) and from pc (svideo/composite).

I did look at the above three units previously, but did not think they had the inputs I required - for example the JVC has scart input but no svideo or composite input. I had better look again. Thanks

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    What type of signal do you think Scart carries? - Video, S-Video and, on some units, RGB is the answer! Scart is just a connection socket. The JVC has Video (composite) and S-Video inputs as well as component output (PAL progressive). Infact every DVD recorder I noted has everything in your list - which is I why I listed them!

5. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Thanks, I do understand all the connections.

It's not the signal I am after, but as you state the actual connections. For example the Tivo has only Scart Output (fair enough JVC has that), but the PC connection will have to be via either Svideo or composite cable (I know I can get convertors, but I am looking for a unit with all the right connections).

Looking at the JVC manual again, I see it actually has the svideo/composite connections on the front (did not look at the picture of the front), problem is, that is going to look really messy with the cable permanently connected and the flap down, you see I am looking for these connections on the back of the unit as they will all be permanently connected.

Anyway, out of all the options, it looks like the JVC is going to have to be the one and I will have to live with the cables out the front. I will check to see if it can be made region free (most of my DVDs are region 1).

Thanks again for your help.

Edit: Sorry, one last question if I may: One thing I am not 100% sure of is the progessive output. I see some sites class it as Pal Progressive - I take it will still have a large affect with region one disks? (output is a projector btw)

6. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I to am looking to get a DVD Recorder, but with a HDD facility.

Any sugguestions.

Cheers

Damo :)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Have a look at the Toshiba RDXS32 (discussed at length in this thread). Alternatively the Panasonic E85 or Panasonic E95 are all worth investigating. The Pioneer range (420, 520 and 720) are also worth looking at (details found here) although the specifications of these machines fall short of the Toshiba and Panasonic range IMHO.

Firstwave, just for your information the Panasonic E55 has dedicated S-Video input on the rear if that's what you really need - details here. Model is fully NTSC and PAL progressive compatible.

8. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Once again thank you very much for your help.

It was much appreciated.

9. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been round the panasonic shop (who use to be helpful), and they think then even when the system is chipped for multi-region, you wont:

a) be able to play most region 1 titles
    b) be able to view region 1 in progressive scan.

Before I go on the web and buy one, can someone just confirm that this is not true (Rasczak, I know you said it was compatible, but do the letters at the end of the dmre55 model number make a difference)

Thanks

Darren

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    They either don't know the products they are selling or are 'covering' themselves.

The Panasonic E55 should be able to play most Region 1 DVDs without problem - indeed most of the mods I've seen are RCE compatible hence you should be able to play ALL your disks.

Have a look at the Panasonic E55 manual available for download (in PDF format) from:
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/index.asp
    Page 46 refers where it describes both the PAL and NTSC Progressive Scan features.
    If you need further re-assurance have a look at the specs listed on the AvLand site for example:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre55/dmr-e55.htm
    ...where it says "PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan Output".

11. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Order placed.

Once again, many thanks for your help Rasczak, and sorry to have kept bothering you.

Darren

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No problem. Happy to help. Let us know if you want any setup advice when you get your new recorder.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    A quick look also reveals the Home Cinema Choice review of the E55 mentions that it is PAL and NTSC progressive compatible:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4440

Firstwave, for my own piece of mind can I just check you have ordered a multi-region Panasonic E55 haven't you? Obviously the unmodified Region 2 version needs a mod to play Region 1 DVDs - there is no 'handset' hack. Just wanted to be clear on that before you spend any money....

14. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, I ordered it from your link above (rgbdirect.co.uk), and as long as their website is correct, then yes it is multi-region.

Thanks for checking, I appreciate it.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    :thumbsup: Superb - I just wanted to check - we obviously get all levels of experience of the forum and it can, at times, be very easy for confusion to occur.

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you are happy to edit all your recordings on a PC, you may want to consider spending £100 and getting a DVD recorder with a HDD. It really is worth the extra money.

17. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most of the recordings will be extracted from Tivo to PC and edited before recording, so a HD recorder wont really be needed for my needs.

Thanks for the thought though.