1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder Picture Quality vs VHS?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hutchingsp, Jan 3, 2005.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess this is a subjective question, but since getting Sky+ I've physically got rid of my VCR as, snobby as it may sound, it just looks so **** in comparison (this is a Toshiba which is/was about as good as it got three or so years back).

I'm about to get a DVD recorder and it dawned on me I've read sooo much but never actually seen the sort of quality these things record at for each quality setting.

I'm looking at Pioneers, recording from SKy+ over RGB scart.

How good is it in comparison to the original Sky signal, and compared to VHS (not much else to compare it to) in SP/LP/EP etc..

cheers,
    Paul

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can't comment on the quality of the pioneer unit but my panasonic e65 is fantastic quality, leaves vhs or svhs for dead, from sky+ I would be surprised if you can tell any difference between the original and the recording, I can't on mine. If you can input a good enough quality source (dv-cam etc) you can get results that equal or look better than commercial dvd's. The trouble with sky is that the picture is poor at best (unless your watching it on a 20" tv, then it looks ok) so the results you get from your dvd recorder are not showing its full potential. I can get about 4 hrs on a dvd in better than svhs quality but i prefer to use xp mode (1 hour per disc) for my dv-cam recordings, and flexible bitrate mode (up to 3 hrs at very good quality) for any films etc that I want to archive . If youve got broadband i can send you a small video file so you can see the quality for yourself.

3. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Pioneer 220 and on the 1 hour and 2 hour recording modes you are hard pushed to see the difference between the recording and the source material. Go over the 2 hour mode and you will see some deterioration in quality but it still beats VHS any day :thumbsup: