Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD Recorder Picture Quality 3hrs+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Klippie, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi all,

I have been looking for a while for a dvd recorder, recently I had a demo of the new Sony machine and found it very poor when recording in 3hr and 4hr modes all pixelated and wobbly.

Could the owners of the various models please post your opinion's of the two modes on your own machines as recording 3hrs and over is very important to me.

I think VCR's may be with us for some time yet if the Sony is anything to go by.

Thanks a lot....
    Klippie.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the picture quality becomes a bit dire once you start to cram more than 2 hours on one disk. It may not suit your requirments but I'm quite happy to have the program on two disks and use FR (on my Panny) to get the best quality on each disk. One and a half hours at FR is really excellent quality.

DaveP

3. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I find it all depends on the signal source. My aeriel signal is not brilliant and therefore even in 2Hr mode on my Panny the picture can be a bit noisy but a real improvement on VCR.
    However when going to Sky and digital and using a quality source like the Movie channels I can record up to LP (4hr mode) without any real visible artifacts on playback apart from some pixilation of the sky or sea.
    I generally use FR mode to make a disk of 3hours as I find this the best breakpoint between quality and time on disk.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Klippie. I cannot bring myself to record in anything much above the 2 hour setting which is excellent. That's the problem once you have sampled the XP and SP mode you really can't stomach the lesser quality of 3 hours or more.

As others have said on the Panny format there is a brilliant option called FR which makes the program fit the disc and thus ensures maximum quality. I think two and a half hous is the max I would go for. If you record from digital sky which is a load of c**p quality wise anyhow. So in my oppinion it is even more important to use the best quality modes or you are simply added trouble to trouble.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    P.S. Don't be put off. VHS is rubbish compared to DVD recording quality. Forget the Sony it's nothing more than an expensive gimmick. Choose a format (In my oppinion Panny is way out easiest the best of the best). Then buy and enjoy. VHS is Naff......don't suffer it a day longer than you need too.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Buy the HS2, its cheaper than the sony and has the hard drive so you can record 18 hours at sp quality and archive to multiple discs if you wish.

7. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi Guys,

Lots of good reasons to go the dvd recording direction but I really do need the 3hrs+ length as I am not usually at home when recording programs.

But the most important point to me in looking at the Sony machine was its ability to record in two formats.I want to use the recorded disks in another room on my Philips 963sa but this cannot play dvd-ram which rules out the Panny machines with one swift stroke. It does however play +rw and -rw disks which the Sony can record in but the LP quality is unwatchable.

I dont know though, I still feel there is quite a bit of development yet to come on these machines so I will sit on the fence for a while yet to see what is launched towards the end of the year.

Thanks everybody for your replies.
    Klippie.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    Go for the Panasonic HS2 or the Toshiba version. With these you can record upto 7hrs in top quality XP mode (more on the Tosh) on the HDD and then dub to cheap, disposable DVD-R (which is THE most compatible format) which will play in your Philips player.

These machines will give a top picture quality with the hybrid VBR and the flexible record mode which allows you to fill the disk to the brim. The Toshiba is also cheaper than the Sony (although I believe at the cost of RGB in) - the Toshiba is almost £70 cheaper on sites like www.rgbdirect.co.uk

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I second the above, and virtually never use -ram in my hs2. I either watch programs and erase or archive straight to -r. I would only use -ram if the hard drive is nearly full and I want to capture all the episodes of a series before transferring to -r in a few weeks time.
    To all intents the hs2 to me is a time shifting machine which can archive to -r if I want, and I have yet to find a player that can't play them back

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    3hrs in FR would be much better than 3hrs in LP (4hrs max in LP) though surely?