1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder or Video Cassette Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigbaddonkey, Aug 23, 2003.

1. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My video player has just packed up and I was wondering wether it's worth splashing out on a DVD Recorder at this stage? I know nothing about DVD Recorders and wondered if you guys could give me some info.
    Of course the DVD Recorder is technically superior but is it as practical? There must be disadvantages other than the price?
    Can I just record at the press of a button like VHS? Is the media very expensive? Can I record over a Disc easily? Do I need to be recieving Digital TV, Do I need a TV with certain specs?
    Just simple stuff like that really.. DVD recording is still in it's infancy and maybe I should stick with another VCR for now?
    Pros and Cons much appreciated,
    Thanks, BBD.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    It entirely depends on your needs etc. I would say crack on and buy a DVD Recorder...but then I would :D

Seriously a decent VCR will cost you £100, a DVD recorder will cost £270+. If that isn't an issue then I would say get a DVD recorder! Have you considered other alternatives such as Sky+ or other HDD recorder - these may suit you better than a DVD recorder?

Have you thought about what you want to do with your DVD recordings - are they just for timeshifting, do you want to archive VHS/TV recordings, do you want to lend to friends etc etc

Yes.

It is if you buy it in the High Street. Buying online is cheap. Write once disks vary from around £0.50 to £4. Rerecordable disks vary from £1 to about £9. So it really isn't that expensive!

Yes - it's very easy. On some you just record over the recording, on others you goto the menu and hit 'erase'.

No you don't need digital TV. You don't need a certain specification of TV. They will work on any TV.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    Some models let you edit the tracks like mini disk. EG if you tape a program whilst your out, on a commercial channel you can edit out the adverts yourself. On some player this is noticeable but on others it is seamless. These players tend to be round the £500 mark though.

4. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. All I want it for is just recording films, TV Programs, then playing them back again. I was just concerned if there were any complications\limitations when recording\playback etc.
    I can't get Sky+.
    Looks like I'll have to check out some players in the shops..... are they all pretty similar?
    Thanks, BBD.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    :eek: No they are very dissimilar!

May I suggest you read through some of the posts in this forum. There are three re-writeable formats and two write-once formats. DVD-RW is supported by Pioneer and Sony, DVD-RAM is supported by Panasonic, Toshiba and JVC and DVD+RW by Philips. DVD-R is the write-once media of DVD-RAM and DVD-RW (and is supported by all those companies). DVD+R is supported by Philips.

The budget models (i.e. ones under £300) are the Panasonic E50 and the Philips DVDR70. The JVC DRM1 is coming at around £350.

Panasonic E50: Records to DVD-RAM (ReWrite) and DVD-R (Write-Once). DVD-RAM has high access speeds so offers Timeslip (watch the start before it's finished recording), editting facilities but offers little compatibility with other players. DVD-R offers high compatibility with existing players (96%) but non of DVD-RAMs features.

Philips DVDR70: Records to DVD+RW (ReWrite) and DVD+R (Write-Once). Each has compatibility with existing players of around 87% but offers no Timeslip etc. Currently most units sold in the UK are Philips ones - but this will ultimately change as the Japanese firms start to enter the market.

There are other options on the horizon - the JVC DRM1 (see the thread with the same name!). This will record to DVD-RW (87% compatibility), DVD-R and DVD-RAM. It will be priced around £350 though so may be a little expensive.

I suggest you read through a variety of posts on the forum about which is best. You'll find many of the posts are "my DVDR is better than yours" but they are still informative! Whatever you do buy online as you'll save yourself around £100.

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    DVD recorders are fine, but the discs have limited capacity.
    The recording medium with the highest capacity and best picture quality is D-VHS. The downside is that the machines are not available other than second-hand in Europe.

If you can pick one up, up the advantages are:
    1: 21 hours of DVD quality on a tape. (4.7Mb/s)
    2. Better than DVD quality using 7 hours on a tape.(14.1Mb/s)
    3. You can use S-VHS tapes to record in D-VHS mode.
    4. Will play all normal VHS and S-VHS tapes.
    5. US versions will play Hi Definition material.
    ( No current DVD recorders will do this.)

Another excellent recording method is DV (the full size version of mini DV as used in camcorders) which gives 3 hours on a tape.
    (Also higher quality than DVD recordings.)

I still like DVDR tho , for it's instant access !

Regards.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    I agree D-VHS offers massive capacity at high bitrates but I would dispute it offers the best picture quality as AFAIK none of the units have RGB in. I suppose if you could get one with component in you might be able to convert from RGB.

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Also do not rule out the new Pioneer models, these will support the same Panasonic Time-slip but on cheaper DVD-RW media, with the benefit of being able to use DVD-RW in compatible mode to play elsewhere.

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr310/

These and more new models from other manufacturers will be hitting the shops soon for the Xmas sales season.

Regards

Philip

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    For DVD-RW the JVC is a much better option at the budget end of the market than the Pioneer 310. For one thing the JVC offers PAL Progressive as well as DVD-RAM but the real clincher is that it is under £350. The cheapest anyone has seen the 310 yet is £550:
    http://www.wmecltd.co.uk/normalcontent/new models hifi.htm

The 310 is designed to compete with the E60 - and is not competitive at the budget end of the market.

10. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for all your help\info. From all the info I can gather it does seem this DVD Recording is still not 'bedded in'.
    Quite like the sound of the Panasonic models... these guys been at it a while? Something tells me the £500 technology available now will be available in models for £200 next year.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    DVD Recording in the UK was launched by Philips very early 2002, followed within several months by Panasonic (the E20) and then Pioneer (DVDR7000). All the units were high end (around £700). Ever since the prices have been plummeting largely due to Philips aggressive pricing. Since the launch it's largely been Philips in the lead bringing out new models with Panny playing catch up, i.e. Philips always had a newer model out before Panasonic.

This is changing now - with Panasonic having launched quite an aggressive push for the market. Toshiba (DVD-RAM) and Sony (DVD-RW) joined the fray several months ago at the high end of the market. JVC (DVD-RAM/DVD-RW) is about to join, Pioneer is rejoining (DVD-RW) with two units. Samsung (DVD-RAM) is joining in November with a new model (as opposed to a "rebadged" one). Bush, Mico and Daewoo (DVD+RW) are launching models "by Xmas". In short everyone is now jumping in.

The price is guaranteed to drop though - DVD Recorders will possibly hit the £200 mark by XMAS, if not it won't be long after.