DVD recorder or VHS to clear down Sky+ memory?

Aimi78

Standard Member
I want to copy programmes off of my Sky+ box to free up memory & have been looking around at DVD recorders. I also have a crap Sky signal so have been thinking of getting a Freeview box for the bedroom for when Sky won't work. I then had the bright idea to combine the 2 & get a digital DVD recorder but this would be going in the bedroom (as I've got Freeview in the living room) & the bedroom TV runs off the RF out2 signal & magic eye.
I've got a VCR in the living room which I think means I can record the saved programmes from Sky+(??), is it worth spending £100 on a digital DVD recorder or should I just buy a stand-alone Freeview box (£15-£30) & use the video to clear down Sky+??

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've got a VCR in the living room which I think means I can record the saved programmes from Sky+(??), is it worth spending £100 on a digital DVD recorder or should I just buy a stand-alone Freeview box (£15-£30) & use the video to clear down Sky+??
You can certainly save the recorded programmes off the Sky+ to a VCR or DVDR...my advice would be to get a DVDR with a HDD as that gives you more storage and also editing facilities...not to mention far better recording quality than a VCR...as you say you can also get a model with a digital (Freeview) tuner so if you go with this idea up your budget and get a Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony DVDR.
Another option is to fit a larger HDD to your Sky+...there's a thread or two in the forum telling you how to.

Aimi78

Standard Member
my advice would be to get a DVDR with a HDD as that gives you more storage and also editing facilities
I'm not too fussed about quality as its only stuff I haven't got round to watching yet and wanna save to watch in a couple of weeks time after I've had an op on my knee and have no choice but to sit & do nothing for 10 weeks.
Will a DVDR with a HDD make as much noise as the Sky+ box??
It's gotta go in my bedroom for the Freeview function; there is NO WAY I could have the Sky box in there and be able to sleep! :eek:

Increasing the capacity of the Sky box is an idea I hadn't thought of though and is worth checking out.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom