DVD recorder or 'standalone' DVD Player????

D

Diving Bear

Some advice needed please.
I am looking for a DVD recorder that will give the best possible playback of movies. I only want the recorder element because my wife is a teacher and needs to be able to record programmes for use at school. High quality recording is not therefore a major issue.

Having read as much as I can on this I am now torn! Is buying a recorder going to mean losing too much quality in the playback of movies? I have a budget of about £450. Would I be better to get a dedicated player and record onto VHS for her school stuff?

I guess what I am asking is how much playback quality do you loose by having a recorder? I have a Philips 32PF9986 LCD & Sky+
Thanks

For £450 you will get a significantly better performance from a DVD player than from any DVD recorder (even the £1000 E500). The fact is at best DVD recorders are average DVD players - arguably the best is the Sony range - Toshiba and Panasonic next - but they are only really as good as a DVD player half their price. IMHO you cannot beat seperates, i.e. a decent DVD player and dedicated DVD recorder.

For general DVD recorder buying advice have a look at the link in my signature.

I have a Pioneer DVD recorder that cost about £600. I have a Denon 2200 which cost £500. The Deno is in a different league as far as picture quality is concerned. From my experience DVDR is a replacement for a VCR, not a DVD player.

So, given how much I've spent so far on the tv, amp speakers etc I need to get a dedicated DVD palyer to make the most of it all. In which case... what is a good DVD player for about £450 that will go well with the Philips LCD and the rest???

In which case... what is a good DVD player for about £450 that will go well with the Philips LCD and the rest???
Your best off asking on the DVD players forum ;) You'll get better advice there on what are the top models. But you will certainly appreciate the difference on your LCD between a decent DVD player and a weaker one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom